Maker Pro
Maker Pro

advice for device repair

Hi everyone,:)

I write this topic to know about repair skills. It's common that electronics devices have many stages. (for exemple: a gsm have a stage for power circuit, radio circuit and so on...) So, here's my question. For every stages. Can I check them one by one with a signal generator (for AC) and with a laboratory power supply unit ( for AC, but especially for DC) ?:)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
It depends on the device.

A stereo amplifier is a simple example. These will typically have a power supply, a preamplifier stage, and a power amplifier stage, and these sections can be tested independently to some extent. You can measure the power supply output voltages with a multimeter, and you can feed an AC signal into the input and trace its progress through the preamplifier and power amplifier stages.

Diagnosing a fault is usually more complicated than that, though. For example, the power supply voltages may be wrong because a fault in the power amplifier is overloading the power supply, and for another example, even if you find a point in the preamplifier or power amplifier where the signal disappears, you need to make other measurements (for example, DC operating voltage measurements) to find the actual cause of the problem.

A radio receiver is somewhat more complicated, because different stages operate at different frequencies and with different kinds of signals. Also, there is a kind of feedback from a later stage to an earlier stage; in general, feedback of any kind can complicate fault-finding.

Other types of equipment are much more complicated to diagnose.

For example, a smartphone or an MP3 player has a power supply, a headphone driver amplifier, and other largely self-contained sections, which can be diagnosed with standard simple techniques, but beyond them, all of the digital components are interdependent and it can be difficult to diagnose the exact fault, although the digital circuitry can still be divided into separate functional blocks. There are also many functional blocks contained within the firmware. Diagnosing faults in digital circuits is often best done by trial replacement of components; more advanced diagnosis requires advanced equipment such as a logic analyser, and intimate knowledge of the operation of the device.

Fundamentally, if you want to diagnose faults with equipment, you need (as well as the required test equipment) an understanding of how the device works internally. When you understand that, you will be able to work out how to test it.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Electronics Point :)

That's right. It's more complicated than I think. A stage can take some damage because another stage don't work well. So, I have to know exatly how each stage work.
Thanks for your reply. Are you a technician ?

KrisBlueNZ

I started in consumer electronics repair then I went into design. Many of the people on this forum are engineers and technicians, and there is a wide range of expertise here.

KrisBlueNZ

I don't work in any field at the moment :-( That's why I have so much time to spend answering questions in these forums!

"Electronic design automation" (EDA) refers to software tools that are used to automate the electronic design process, such as autorouters (that create printed circuit board layouts), tools that compile logic for programmable logic components such as FPGAs, and so on. Electronic designers use these tools.