Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding LED lights to Kid Battery powerd Ride-on

Hi mgcfc,
Yes, that's how to wire the switch. The negative simply joins your other negatives.

This lady shows you how to do it..
Don't get distracted by her rather large erm, large, erm.....nails!!:D

The fuse is your first line of defence, so should ideally go first in line.
What dimensions are the battery? and the 6v battery?
Better still, what space do you have for the battery?

Martin

I had watched that one, those nails are scary, wolverine scary!

What I thought was a good space behind the existing 12V battery is actually awkward in the way it is moulded. I looked at every dimension of 12V battery and there isn't one that fits well.

The 6V battery is approx. 150mm x 35mm x 90mm high and actually fit snugly in beside the 12V battery and leave me space to mount a small project box housing the regulators.

I thought the tractor had a huge area under the hood. In the hood itself!
Something a thin piece of ply and glassed resin would make a great battery holder..

Martin

Another update - so last night I hooked up the full test circuit with the 6V battery. Off one regulator was the 4 headlights (2x2) with the voltage open to max (bang on 6V according to the multimeter) and the current set to 600mA. Off the other regulator was the 2 tail lights with the voltage set to 4.5V and the current set to 300mA.

On the plus side all the LEDs worked fine however the headlight LEDs were noticeably dimmer than the when a single LED was driven with over 3V. The red lights were very bright. The switch worked to switch the circuit on/off but did not illuminate when switched on. I think I fried the LED inside the switch so have ordered another one.

To get the best out of the lights my options are:
  1. try again to get a 12V battery to fit (really don't want to fix anything to the underside of the bonnet).
  2. use a boost regulator for the headlights to increase the voltage to optimum level.
  3. run the lights off the tractors 12V battery and insert a timer board to the light circuit to protect the battery.
  4. be satisfied with the brightness provided by the 6V battery.
On option 1 the 12V battery will still have to be small (like 1.2Ah small) but will this not drain very quick? I've seen battery life calculators but am unsure what my total Device consumption is (mA).

On option 2 something like this looked like it would do the trick http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141749333325?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

On option 3 I did order a timer board that arrived the other day but I have not used it yet so will have to test it and check how the reset works.

Option 4 is obviously the easiest but compromising is not in my nature! Something worth doing is worth doing right and all that.

One other point of note, it was mentioned before that decreasing current would dim the LEDs and decreasing Voltage would turn them off however I found this to be the other way round. When I adjust the Voltage pot on the regulator the LEDs dimmed and brightened.

So I hooked up the delay relay between the switch and the regulator. I set the relay for delayed switch off after 6seconds or so. The relay has a positive input from the switch and a ground going back to the battery, at the other end there are 3 connection options for the positive connection to the regulator.
So switching the switch on turned the green indicator light on the relay on and after 6 seconds it switched off, perfect. However in the top 2 positions the regulator switched on but when the relay switched off the regulator stays on. In the bottom position the relay switched on but the regulator stayed off.
I must have it connected up wrong but not sure where.

I found this description online but I'm not sure what it means.

The right hand side of the component has the terminals for the relay. The middle terminal is the common. The top is normally closed. The bottom is normally open. What this means is that to complete your circuit, you connect one end to the common, and if you want the relay to turn off your circuit for a specified time (and when time runs out turn it back on), you connect it to the top one. If you want the relay to turn on your circuit for a specified time (and then shut it off), you connect the other lead to the bottom terminal.

If the common is the middle terminal where do I wire this to and then where do I wire the bottom terminal to?

Well I finally finished up this project yesterday just in time for Christmas and I'm very pleased with the results. I'll get some photos up when I get a chance.

Just wanted to thank all of those who helped out with some much needed advice. Thanks guys and Happy Christmas!

I had forgotten about this project. I wasn't getting notifications until your last message.
Great news it's working and finished.. It would be great to see some photos.

Martin