Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Add line out to speaker-damaged Garmin GPS?

Howdy y'all.
My Garmin Nuvi GPS was caught in a heavy rainstorm several weeks ago.
I opened it to dry everything for 24h atop an oil heater (low heat).

All GPS functions still work, except the small loudspeaker, which is now barely audible.
I think it's the speaker, as I plugged a temporary mono patch-cord into my soundcard's line-in, touched sig/gnd wires across the speaker.
The GPS voice spoke loudly through PC-connected amplifier setup.
Speaker's DC resistance in-circuit, with GPS off, is 5R3.
I don't know therefore if this is 4 ohm or 6 ohm standard, or if i'm also reading parallel R of output stage.
No idea of wattage, as voice-coil screen-print is gone, if it was there at all.
May have been wiped off when I was pre-wiping and 'patting' dry with a bath-towel.

Soldering safe?
As I noticed the board is packed with SMD components, including several IC's and transistors, my concern is that my electric Soldering iron could blow CMOS etc.
Ideally, I would like to add a 'line-out' from the speaker's PCB solder-pads, maybe even remove the speaker from the unit.
If I loosely bunched a handful of aluminium foil, pressed as a grounding pad over entire board (battery removed), would this protect against ESD while soldering?

Loading Line:
As for load to a line-in socket, (Sony Front-End CD/Car Radio), I considered trying a temporary series 1K0 preset, gradually reduced until volume is sufficient.
Would a speaker-to-line-in conversion also need a series audio cap, for normalizing bias?

Inductive coupling to mini loudspeaker VC?
The speaker is a small, flat design, with voice-coil/magnet housing surrounded by the diaphragm 'cage', which is slotted metal, viewed from back.
After measuring the not-so-loudspeaker dimensions, I planar-wound a flat coil of hair-fine enamelled copper onto cardstock ring, n about 80T close-wound.
This flat planar coil was stuck to rear of cage, encircling center VC housing, litz-wired to RCA socket at back of unit.
The DC R is 5.3 - 5.4 ohms.

Poorly coupled?
No audio output, seriesed 11 ohm 1/8W resistor (16.3-16.4R) to avoid overloading my PC's soundcard mic in and line in.
The only audio heard is occasional (antenna output?) pulses like cellphone interference.
I guess the VC is helically wound, screened by metal 'faraday-cage' of speaker, and my creation is planar, perpindicular to VC?

Speaker specs?
I have several old half-stripped headphones, some with speakers that may fit in GPS.
These vary from 8R through 32R to around 64R.
Does anybody have specs for the Garmin Nuvi loudspeaker?
Nothing so far via web searches.
Our local RS keeps a range of drivers, so I could renew with same rating once known.

Thanks, Clive.

Howdy Horn Honker . . . .

Sounds like the cone has seized .
One Garmin part number is 04G11302500 . . . unless updated.
Never any impedance, being given in the SM.
This one shown is being 4 ohm so that may be their "given" design parameter betwixt all units..

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/KrnI4qLYWaFrSWCw.huge

OR this one happens to be 8 ohms . . . . maybe some of your part numbers can be compared

" " " The speaker of the Garmin Nuvi 200W is prone to water damage and may fail over time. " " "

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/MgCttdsRWuFT5XVB.huge

OR . . is this being akin to your unit . . . . . below ?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Garmin+Nuvi+200+Speaker+Replacement/2673

73's de Edd

Last edited:
Hi 73's.
Thanks for the URL links (which I'll look through).
The GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 1300LM model.
Since posting yesterday I have re-opened the unit to re-test all and try another idea.
Update / correction to parameters:
The loudspeaker is a 30 mm * 15 mm rectangular cloth diaphragm, facing rear of case through speaker grille, where rainwater must have got through to voice coil.
The frame round the VC / magnet is made of black plastic struts, not metal as I thought.
DC resistance when main board is lifted off speaker's spring contact connectors (no solder) is 4 ohms.
Wattage unknown.
I lifted VC magnet off speaker (easily) and examined helical coil under magnifying glass set.
Coil and magnet 'groove' have whitish water stains, some windings of VC appear 'loose', as if shellac was soaked in H2O a long time.
New mod:
As the Pee See Bee does not need soldering, I removed the faulty speaker, then wired the 2 spring contacts directly to an RCA socket, mounted through rear corner of case.
Next, I plan to build a small 4-ohm speaker-box with a jack-switchable line-out option, for playing through amplifier.
ADD: Looking at my bottom schematic of the external spk box, I noticed that I have 8 ohms dummy load paralleled across the 4 ohm speaker, when no line cord is in. (Oops!).
Think I must rather use an 8 ohm speaker, so 1/((1/8)+(1/8)) = 4 ohms (at reduced volume)?
Not sure if 8R should be paralleled across GPS out and Line-In of amp?
GPS_2_Amp.gif

Last edited: