Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC/DC power supply

Hi, I'm new here and may be a little over my head in this subject I'm asking. I have been an electrician for 40 years, but haven't done much in electronics. I have an ac/dc converter that I want to repair if possible, and am wondering if someone might guide me a little through the troubleshooting of it. It is actually a converter for a cooler that plugs into a regular 120 volt outlet and changes it to 12 volt dc for the cooler. It is rated at 1.2 amps. I am not getting any voltage out of it when plugged in. Could someone help me with where to start?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

davenn

hi sparky
welcome to the forums :)

ok are there any fuses in the PSU ? either on the AC or DC side ?
I am assuming you have opened it up and had a look inside ?

its possible that the transformer has a thermal fuse hidden under the paper/plastic wrapping thats over the windings. pretty common these days.
check for continuity of the primary winding with you meter on Ohms range. not sure what you would get on a 120V transformer ( Im in a 240V country) but you should get at least a few 10's of Ohms.
A 240AC to 16VAC that I just tested here has 125 Ohms for the primary winding

try that for a start and report back we can go from there

cheers
Dave

Thanks for the quick reply. There don't seem to be any fuses on the board at all.
I can't determine which is the primary winding solder joints on the circuit board.
thanks again...
By the way, the board I'm working on is a "Data Electronics Device Inc." Model # 1674 Output 12VDC 5A, input 1.2 amps/144 VA
It is an "Igloo Kool mate Converter" Date Code 9/91
Hope this helps identify what I'm working on...
Thanks again..

Last edited:
The transformer primary will be the two connections that go into the wall. You do not need to dismantle anything to check the primary.

If it is a switch mode power supply it will be weigh very little and be open circuit on the primary except for when the meter is first connected which will show a short deflection.

At 5A output I doubt it uses an old-fashioned iron transformer (heavy), I'd expect it's a light-weight electronic "solid-state" supply. Post a pic' of its guts please.
The first thing to do is to listen carefully if it makes any sounds at all. If it klicks there's a diode shorted. No sound could mean a bad capacitor or resistor.
There is a fuse, but it might not be in the shape you're used to, and if it's blown there's a good reason for it (shorted rectifier bridge or transistor).

If the code means it was manufactured in 1991, it's over 20 years old. I'd scrap the thing and buy a new wall wart (I'm assuming that's what it is). You can get a 12 V 1.5 A wall wart from Radio Shack for about $15 IIRC. Make sure to save any needed connector from the old one.

Thanks for all the replies. I called my local Radio Shack and they don't carry one with 5 amp. output. I did find one online for around $25.00 + tax. I may go that route if I can't solve it soon. I'll try the other test when I get a chance. Thanks again...

Sorry sparkync, I thought I saw 12 V 1.5 A -- not the 5 A you in fact wrote. Instead of a wall wart, there are inexpensive switching power supplies that might work. There are lots of places that sell such things; here's one. Also here and here.

Thanks for all the replies. I just went ahead and ordered the one from Radio Shack. According to most of the reviews, it works well with a cooler. All I'll have to do is splice the correct end for the cooler onto the converter. Thanks again...