Maker Pro
Maker Pro

7809 not outputting 9v

hello . im a newbie to electronics.
in advance sorry for my dumb questin
i have a voltage regulator (7809) and im trying to get a 9v out of it. now i know that it is not gonna be 9v exactly and some thing near to it. but as u see in attached pics i get 12v.
i cant understand whats wrong. is it my circuit???(see the attached images)
or is the regulator broken????

(for power supply im using an ac to dc adabtor witch gives me 14.1v)

i would really appreciate some help

Attachments

• 20170824_154548.jpg
    20170824_154548.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 20170824_154331.jpg
    20170824_154331.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 20170824_153753-1.jpg
    20170824_153753-1.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 266
Alec said it all in his first post..... Difficult to see but it seems you have it connected a-up. ie you have neg in term 1.

Best if you show a complete picture of what you have connected. A drawing would suffice much better than photos of bits and pieces people have to mentally " glue" together. Very confusing as to what goes where.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
sorry but could'nt understand ur last line

I think @Bluejets assumes that if the negative lead is blue, that the other blue lead is also negative.

It's wise to use a red wire for positive and a black one for negative.

You are missing the input and output capacitors too.

Is this the first way you've wired it up? 12V is high enough to have damaged the device if you've connected it in certain wrong ways.

What is your source of 12V?

Hard to tell exactly what goes where on your fotos..

I made a small schematic for you, try this, if it's still bad, your regulator is probably toast.. :)

RY5LlMz.png

Hard to tell exactly what goes where on your fotos..

I made a small schematic for you, try this, if it's still bad, your regulator is probably toast.. :)

RY5LlMz.png
i did make ur schematics with my regulator and now it out puts 14v.
u r right. the regulator is broken. bu i wonder , why?
i havent done any thing to it.
havent put more than 17 volts on the input pin.
im sure i havent misplaced regulators vcc and gnd.
the only thing i can think of is connecting regulators input pin to my vcc without any resistor in between.
i know that for example connecting a led to vcc without tesistor damages it. but can connecting the regulator to vcc without resistor cause any damage to ic??

Thanks in advance. u guys are the best

The most likely fault is that you connected it backwards. A diode is often recommended across the regulator to protect it against reverse current.

They don't like it up 'em.

A resistor in series with the input of a voltage regulator will cause a voltage drop across the resistor which makes the input voltage to the regulator lower which might be too low for it to work properly. Usually a resistor is not used but it might be calculated properly to share heating.

An LED is a load that draws as much current as it can so it needs a resistor in series to limit the current.
A voltage regulator is not a load so it does not draw as much current as it can.