Maker Pro
Maker Pro

4017 IC

Hobby project = I have a sequence blinker in mind and have the 555 IC, and need to get a 4017 controller, Also wanted are 12v "micro-lights" to power the project or LED's that broadcast light instead of 'narrow beam'. Since Radio Shack is no more, where can I get such lights ? Will need a dozen red and about 4 yellow. They will be used on a vehicle (12v.)

" GOGGLE "
" Suppliers of grain of wheat lamps "
or
" Suppliers of Red and Yellow LED's "
And that will confirm that Rat Shak wasn't the SOLE supplier on earth, of those two items . . . .hmmmm.

You will need driver transistors; the CD4017 outputs can only source or sink a few mA. I'd probably use 2N7000s.

You will need driver transistors; the CD4017 outputs can only source or sink a few mA. I'd probably use 2N7000s.
The datasheet for the CD4017 shows that with a 12V supply (14.4V in a vehicle) its output current into a 2V red LED is typically 27mA which is enough to smoke its output transistors. (14.4V - 2V) x 27mA= 335mW in each output transistor but the max allowed dissipation in each output transistor is only 100mW. With 240 ohm current-limiting resistors then the current can be 18mA and the CD4017 will not overheat.

I harvested LEDs of many colors that have a very wide 180 degrees viewing angle from Christmas tree LEDs that people threw away. The top of these LEDs is dented and not round and I have never seen them sold in electronic parts stores.

Attachments

• CD4017 output current.PNG
    CD4017 output current.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 17
The datasheet for the CD4017 shows that with a 12V supply (14.4V in a vehicle) its output current into a 2V red LED is typically 27mA which is enough to smoke its output transistors. (14.4V - 2V) x 27mA= 335mW in each output transistor but the max allowed dissipation in each output transistor is only 100mW. With 240 ohm current-limiting resistors then the current can be 18mA and the CD4017 will not overheat.

I harvested LEDs of many colors that have a very wide 180 degrees viewing angle from Christmas tree LEDs that people threw away. The top of these LEDs is dented and not round and I have never seen them sold in electronic parts stores.
That's fine if and only if the O.P. doesn't intend any parallel connection of his "dozen red and about 4 yellow" LEDs. I usually assume a reasonable, delimited for hot weather, design current for the CD4017 to be ≈15mA at 12V.

Inverted cone, also known as straw hat, helmet, dented lens, etc. LEDs are readily available new.

Last edited:
Am familiar with the "dimpled" LED's and the broadcast light. Have found them (4.5 v DC) at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby - powered by 3 AA batteries. Also know that 12v. LED's (Christmas & regular) can be found at many truck stops. The "inverted cone" can also be made with a Dremel, and a slight coat of clear fingernail polish - it works IF careful = (wooden clothes pin holding the LED in a vise and Dremel drill press with wood router bit) I have a habit of thinking "out of the box" and it usually works

Your approach to sourcing seems very limited. Unless you have to complete this project in less than 1 week or you just want to tinker as your username may suggest, there's no reason to "carve" your own LEDs or buy expensive, non-optimal devices at local retail stores. We have a resource here that may be useful to you.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/resources/component-suppliers.34/

Why not plan and execute the project in a slightly more formal way: defined result, mechanical and electrical design, process steps, bill of materials, etc?

In my experience, the phrase "out of the box", while intended to convey a claim to superior creativity, is actually used to rationalize abusive, immoral, unsafe, unethical and/or illegal action and conceal an actual creativity deficit.

Last edited:
...Inverted cone, also known as straw hat, helmet, dented lens, etc. LEDs are readily available new.
Can you post a link?

Regular 5mm/3mm LEDs have a hemispherical top. Those are easy to find.
Straw Hat LEDs have a rounded convex top. It is not flat, but not nearly a hemisphere either. Those are easy to find also.

The Christmas tree LEDs have a concave round cone top.... I am another who has only ever seen these LEDs on strings of already-manufactured Christmas tree lights. Does this type have a name? It may be that the LEDs are encapsulated like that by the companies that make the strings of lights. Or maybe it is just a plastic lens held over a normal 3mm LED? I've never taken a Christmas-tree LED apart.

This page has a close-up picture of one, about 2/3 of the way down the (long) page:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Min...ome-Shopping-Mall-Decoration/32892845192.html

Can you post a link?

Regular 5mm/3mm LEDs have a hemispherical top. Those are easy to find.
Straw Hat LEDs have a rounded convex top. It is not flat, but not nearly a hemisphere either. Those are easy to find also.

The Christmas tree LEDs have a concave round cone top.... I am another who has only ever seen these LEDs on strings of already-manufactured Christmas tree lights. Does this type have a name? It may be that the LEDs are encapsulated like that by the companies that make the strings of lights. Or maybe it is just a plastic lens held over a normal 3mm LED? I've never taken a Christmas-tree LED apart.

This page has a close-up picture of one, about 2/3 of the way down the (long) page:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Min...ome-Shopping-Mall-Decoration/32892845192.html

Okay, I'll humor you. Here's one. After this, you have to find your own. ;)

https://www.moreleds.com/whiteinverted.htm

Some of the LEDs in my solar garden lights have a very short clear case with a rounded top that has the chip very close to the top. Then its light is VERY wide angled.

I'll tell you what. I think of something I want, start researching the circuit that will get me there, then start looking for the parts, .... hours later I find what I need already fully assembled and for sale for $9.99 on eBay.
Are you sure you don't want to just look for somebody who already invented what you want and is selling it cheap?

Your approach to sourcing seems very limited. Unless you have to complete this project in less than 1 week or you just want to tinker as your username may suggest, there's no reason to "carve" your own LEDs or buy expensive, non-optimal devices at local retail stores. We have a resource here that may be useful to you.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/resources/component-suppliers.34/

Why not plan and execute the project in a slightly more formal way: defined result, mechanical and electrical design, process steps, bill of materials, etc?

In my experience, the phrase "out of the box", while intended to convey a claim to superior creativity, is actually used to rationalize abusive, immoral, unsafe, unethical and/or illegal action and conceal an actual creativity deficit.
There is NO intent to do anything abusive, immoral, or illegal. I have wanted to finish this "project" for over a year. Finances have been a bit strained and I'm just asking for more specific info on parts/components needed. I have a schematic on the original plan, and am trying to confirm the parts needed to complete the 'project.

I was just reacting to a phrase that irks me, not accusing you, though you didn't deny unsafe, unethical or creativity deficit. ;) I have a pet peeve about platitudes.

I've done a few 555/4017 sequencer projects before. You didn't say what your plan was, just wanted a source for wide dispersion LEDs. For sourcing help it's useful for you to update your user profile with a location. Do you have what information you wanted for your project or is something still needed?

Last edited:
What I meant by "out of the box" has nothing to do with being superior or arrogant. I was referring to "out of the box" as being different and unique ( NOT ordinary) I like things a bit different , like making lighted ash trays... OR making a teeter totter for a couple lighted snowmen (purchased) in the front garden at Christmas time, that runs on a 12v. system. OR making 7" butterflies for a water garden that have moving wings (clockworks)..