Maker Pro
Maker Pro

4 wire stepper motor control

Hopefully this should be easy. I have a stepper motor with 4 wires coming out of it. If I only use 2 of the wires and touch them to a battery, the thing moves a tiny amount. Then I take the same 2 wires and reverse the polarity, it moves again in the same direction. Use the other 2 wires, do the same thing, the motor moves the opposite direction. I think I could make a basic 555 timer circuit to generate a pulse that drives some sort of relay or transistor circuit to continually drive 1 pair of wires to make this motor spin in one direction only. I don't need it to move both directions so that should work for me. If I remember, the 555 timer needs a resistor and a capacitor to generate a click tick or what ever, and the values of the resistor/cap is how fast or slow those ticks happen. So I just told you pretty much all I know about electronics. My question is, how much precision could I get out of this basic setup? I would think there is lots of room to improve this but I need to keep this as simple and cheap as posible.