Maker Pro
Maker Pro

4 kW DC excited synchronous motor

Hi,

for a project at my university, I am currently searching for an electric motor with the following specifications:
  • synchronous 3-phase motor
  • power of around 4 kW
  • DC-excited (important!!)
We actually want to use it as a generator.
During the whole last week, I already searched a lot of sites and a lot of manufacturers, but I was unable to find any motor meeting all the requirements. Either they are permanent-excited models or they have a larger power rating.

Could anybody point me in the right direction, to a manufacturer or supplier maybe?

Thanks,

Luc

You don;t say whether voltage is important?
If this is just for demonstration/exercise purposes you could look at a automotive alternator, bit low on the desired, current but another source is shipboard alternators.
M.

A car alternator would be single phase but I guess you could run 3 together but then there would be issues with phase relationship.

A car alternator would be single phase but I guess you could run 3 together but then there would be issues with phase relationship.
Never seen a 1ph auto alternator??
All the ones I have owned in the UK and N.A. are all 3 phase, this for some decades now..
The OP is looking for a high voltage version evidently..
M.

Attachments

• alternator.jpg
    alternator.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
If you run the field unregulated you can easily achieve in excess of 50vDC, I have done a few bench exercises with them.
As is normal in many generators, I tried to use self excitation but did not work.
M.