Maker Pro
Maker Pro

240W power adapter can cause problems for a laptop designed for 180W?

First of all I'd like to apologize if this is the wrong place to post this query.

I have a Dell Precision M4800 that comes with a 180W adapter with an output of 19.5V and 9.3 A.

I used my Alienware 240W adapter with my M4800 which has an output of 19.5V and 12.5 A.

The laptop shuts off at random times(the screen goes off first and then all the indicator and button lights go off in an orderly fashion in the next 2 secs unlike a complete power failure when the laptop goes pop and everything goes out immediately) when I use my 240W adapter on it.

From what I read as long the output voltage is the same (or + or - 5%) there should not be a problem. In fact, Amazon even sells 240W adapters for M4800s.

I am wondering if the problem isn't the adapter after all and if I am just imagining it and whether I should send it back to Dell for a problem.
If the problem is indeed the adapter I am wondering if I should still send it back to Dell.

davenn

maybe that Alienware 240W adapter isn't rated as high as what they would lead you to believe and it cannot
supply the required current