Maker Pro
Maker Pro

2003 Trinitron CRT is increasingly unreliable. Looking for advice!

Hi folks! Thanks for having me.

I recently picked up a gently used 2003 Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-27FS100 for use with retro gaming. I'll admit that I was under-prepared for the sheer weight of the thing, and it took a few tumbles during the moving process (my feet mostly cushioned the fall) .I got it home and it seemed to work well. The remote was working, everything seemed hunky-dory.

But a week or so later, the TV stopped taking input from the remote (despite the remote buttons still lighting up on press, new batteries and no obvious damage), so I've been having to use the front buttons exclusively for control. But they don't work perfectly - I can't access the menu even when clicking the menu button.

Currently, whenever I hit any of the front buttons, the "Initial Setup" screen appears. I can still change inputs, volume, etc, but the "Initial Setup" screen appears every time, and the only way I can make it disappear is by clicking the menu button. If I actually try to start the setup, I get to the next screen where it tells me to hit "+" to confirm, but then immediately disappears without doing anything. Sometimes the input channel will just change on its own - it's getting pretty unreliable.

Does this look like a problem with the TV firmware? Is it fixable?

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated. I'm hesistant to open it up, but I'm willing to try anything else to get the TV functioning properly again.

Thank you very much!

Harald Kapp

Does this look like a problem with the TV firmware?
no
Is it fixable?
maybe

Disconnect the TV from mains, let it sit for an hour or more (better overnight), then open it an visually inspect for:
Show us pictures of suspect parts (picture size < 300 kB for upload).

Note: Working on a tube TV can be dangerous. Very dangerous.
When the TV is connected to mains, not only mains voltage but dangerously high voltages exceeding mains may be present. Do not operate the TV with the housing removed. After disconnecting from mains, always wait for the appropriate amount of time (>24 hours) or discharge the relevant capacitors.