Maker Pro
Maker Pro

18.5 volt laptop power supply

I have this power supply unit that plugs into 12v ciggy lighter. Its driving me bonkers because I have to tap it every two seconds to keep it working. Usually I cut those fittings off and replace them with spade clips because I find them annoying and unreliable. This time however when I went to do this I discovered that there were two pos and two neg going into the fitting so I stopped. This power supply cost me $70 I am a little cautious about taking apart the fitting encase it wont go back together again. A little way up the cord there is a little lumpy thing that Im guessing are resistors to prep each feed? There is also a fuse in the back of the plug. Am I on track so far.? If so can I just crack open the plug twist the wires together (same polarity of course) wire in the fuse or is there a lot of complicated little parts in there complicating the issue? Brand name is Powertech Plus Universal Automatic Laptop DC adapter for car. If this is too complicated Ill wait for it to stop working completely before I have a look in there.
Thanks in advance Wil

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Sounds like a broken connection somewhere.

The lump in the power cord is most likely to be a ring of ferrite that the cable passes through. This helps reduce interference.

If you paid $70 for this, take it back. But only do this after you've tried it with another 12V lighter socket (another car?) just in case the fault is with that.

Thanks Steve
Ferrite cores, I sort of get that, Is this to stop the charger from interfering with other devices because it is a pulsed charger or vica verca.
Unfortunately to take it back involves a 2000k round trip because I bought 6 months ago and have been traveling. Resisters, in hinesight what a silly thought.
Still, If I knew the fitting only contained wire connectors and a fuse that wouldnt be a problem for me. If it were to contain voltage regs and other little whatnots I would leave it alone. It has another box which I would have thought would have all the electronics but without taking it apart I wouldnt really know. I do have some very basic electronic experience but not enough to figure out easily what other people have done quickly. I was curious if I would have a time consuming supprise If I were to crack it open. If typically there are lots of components in the plugs of these types of things I wont go there.
Sorry to be nucense
thanks again.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
If it's the plug you have to tap, then maybe that's just a simple plug (does it lead to a box which is the power supply?)

Opening it up would be of minimum risk, just be careful that nothing springs out and that you know how to put it back together again.

Hi Steve
It is the plug that I tap and the box has a digital read out and plenty of room for electronics and stuff. I feel much better about opening the plug.
Thankyou for your time and patients
Wil