Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v Dc supply for LED

Hi,
I've just bought a RGB led which was delivered with a led controller (photo attached). It is supposed to be run by usb from a computer or any other device but supplier didn't send usb connector and I don't happen to have one handy.
I have a Power adapter(photo attached) though for my keyboard .
Can I use this adapter with Led controller ?
Thank you.20191001_203306.jpg 20191001_203215.jpg

Harald Kapp

12 V is not USB. If the controller is designed to be run from USB power, you need a USB power adapter (5 V, USB socket).
However, the socket you show is not USB (it is round, USB is flat or square). Try uploading a better picture of the instruction manual. YOur first image is barely recognizable.

12 V is not USB. If the controller is designed to be run from USB power, you need a USB power adapter (5 V, USB socket).
However, the socket you show is not USB (it is round, USB is flat or square). Try uploading a better picture of the instruction manual. YOur first image is barely recognizable.
Thanks for reply. But the product operation instructions mention that "supply voltage of this product is DC 12V".

Sure. I'll try again. Tried multiple times but it shows error uploading file so I had to resize it. Even tried pdf file but same error.Screenshot_20191001-210459_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Screenshot_20191001-210505_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Harald Kapp

But the product operation instructions mention that "supply voltage of this product is DC 12V".
Sorry, in your original post you stated
It is supposed to be run by usb

Your adapter could work with this controller wit respect to voltage and polarity. Another aspect, not visible from the photos, is the diameter of the plug. It needs to match the diameter of the receptacle.
However, the controller is rated for up to 2 A per color, whereas your power adapter can supply only 500 mA. You may use the controller as long as the total LED current is less than 500 mA. This current depends on the number of LEDs (length of the LED string) attached.

Sorry, in your original post you stated

Your adapter could work with this controller wit respect to voltage and polarity. Another aspect, not visible from the photos, is the diameter of the plug. It needs to match the diameter of the receptacle.
However, the controller is rated for up to 2 A per color, whereas your power adapter can supply only 500 mA. You may use the controller as long as the total LED current is less than 500 mA. This current depends on the number of LEDs (length of the LED string) attached.
I also thought usb because seller mentioned that it can be powered by usb of computer, tablet , in the description of product on online listing. And when product arrived this is the only type of connector it had. I have left a message to seller and awaiting response.
Thanks for clearing polarity point. I have checked diameter and it fits well.
It is a 5meter RGB LED. My main concern is that I don't damage the lights by using excessive or wrong type of current or volt. Sorry, I am novice here but learning.
Thank you again.

Harald Kapp

My main concern is that I don't damage the lights by using excessive or wrong type of current or volt.
With that power adapter you will not damage the LED strip. On the contrary: If the LEDs draw too much current you risk damaging the power adapter.
I looked up a few other 5m RGB LED strips, they come with power adapters with much more power than yours, e.g. 36 W or 48 W.
The 36 W power supply translates to 3 A, your power adapter delivers only 500 mA. I doubt this adapter will last long under the load from the LED strip.I recommend you get another adapter rated at least 12 V 36 W or equivalently 12 V 3 A - or higher.

With that power adapter you will not damage the LED strip. On the contrary: If the LEDs draw too much current you risk damaging the power adapter.
I looked up a few other 5m RGB LED strips, they come with power adapters with much more power than yours, e.g. 36 W or 48 W.
The 36 W power supply translates to 3 A, your power adapter delivers only 500 mA. I doubt this adapter will last long under the load from the LED strip.I recommend you get another adapter rated at least 12 V 36 W or equivalently 12 V 3 A - or higher.

I will not use this adapter for constant use. In current situation (pun intended) I am waiting a response from seller to see if they are going to send the adapter or not and then I'll decide on buying a new one, if required.
You have mentioned minimum requirements of 12V 3A so what is the maximum I can go up to. Controller mentions peak output current 3x4A what does that means?

Also I'm planning to cut and connect extension wires in between pieces of leds to be used for car interior and car usb as power supply.

Harald Kapp

Controller mentions peak output current 3x4A what does that means?
it means that the max. load per color (R G B) is 4 A. Since this current comes from the 12 V input, the power source neds to be able to deliver 3*4 A = 12 A current. BUT that is only with regard to the controller. The real curent drawn depends on the number of LEDs aka the length of the LED strip.
car usb as power supply.
As mentioned before USB is not suitable for powering these ad it has only 5 V. But you could operate the controller directly from the 12 V car battery. I recommend you use an overvoltage limiter and filter to protect the controller from transient voltage spikes. This kind of protection circuit is available as accessory module.