Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12V battery to be dropped down to 6.5v

Hiya, i have bought a 12v power pack with charger so i can power a night vision periscope,
the image intensifier inside the periscope is rated (min - 6.5v) (max - 6.75V) and so the question is: how would i be able to drop 12v to the rated voltage of the intensifier tube.

PS while i am here - i used to be signed up to an electronics forum called "Jonathan's Electronics" some years ago but all of a sudden it went down, i lost some friends when this happened, one of course was Jonathan and another i think called Shylow. if anyone knows about their where abouts i.e. another website Jonathan may have brought back up, could you let me know.

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Google "LM317" :)

Sorry, I know nothing of Jonathan or Shylow.

edit: However that web site still exists. It claims to have been last updated in 2009 though.

Last edited:
the lm317 is a good idea but to go cheap all you need is a series resistor to drop it to the voltage you want

Seriously neon, you can't be serious...
How do you propose a series resistor can put out 6.625V +/-0.125V with a varying input voltage (12-14V) and a varying (& unknown) load?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Yep, an LM317 will do it for you. And at that load you won't require a heatsink.