Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wrapping Exposed USB Drives With Electrical Tape

Hello everyone, I have several USB flash drives (for personal computers.) They are about 1 and 7/8 inches long and they have lost there plastic containment over the course of time. I was thinking of wrapping them with electrical tape and applying a label to each with printed paper strips and transparent tape. I think it's a smart idea, am I correct? Or are there reasons not to do this? Is there anything I should be concerned about? I think this is the place to ask!

Thank you,
JoshuaE

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Electrical tape gets gummy and horrible over time. I'd recommend you get some heatshrink tubing and cover them with that.

davenn

I think it's a smart idea, am I correct? Or are there reasons not to do this? Is there anything I should be concerned about? I think this is the place to ask!

Electrical tape gets gummy and horrible over time. I'd recommend you get some heatshrink tubing and cover them with that.

totally agree with Steve..... definitely wouldn't use electrical tape. HS tubing is the way to go

If by lost their containment you mean that they are exposed circuit boards with the USB connector soldered onto the end, I would be concerned that either electrical tape or heatshrink tubing does not provide sufficient mechanical strength and that they will eventually become damaged.

Instead I would take some thin transparent plastic sheeting, like you find on store shelf product blister packs, a flat section of it, cut and fold it up into the appropriate rectangular box shape, seal the seams with transparent tape (temporarily), set this up on end so the USB connector sticks out the top the appropriate amount, and fill the voids with clear epoxy making sure not to get any on or into the USB connector. It might be easier to fill the container half way then slowly insert the flash drive down into it.

If you are careful pouring the epoxy in and use a slow set type, you can manage to avoid the formation of many bubbles so the circuit board is reasonably visible still, or to some extent you can also take a needle and pull bubbles up to the surface to get rid of them.

Then again, larger and larger USB flash drives have become dirt cheap over the years, and faster too. It might not be worth the bother considering that you're in the US where they are plentiful, opposed to some 3rd world country.

Clear heatshrink tubing is easy to apply and, if you slip a piece of paper with whatever printing on it under the tape before shrinking then you get a key with all the info you want and decent-enough protection - including physical strain relief.

Still won't stop you inserting the key the 'wrong way around' every time you approach a new USB socket though......:D