Maker Pro
Maker Pro

World's Smallest Torch

Got one of my mad notions and decided to make this. I originally wanted to just stick a bunch of surface mount components together but that ended badly. I'd like to get it small enough to fit into a ring - that would be cool :)

wstorch3.jpg

Harald Kapp

I'd like to get it small enough to fit into a ring
I'd say that depends on the size of the ring. You may be able to get the electronics small enough, But I doubt you'll find such a small yet powerful energy source aka battery.

I guess currently making a super small Torch is not possible , We can make it small but nor super small.

I hope it will be possible with new inventions like graphene supercapacitor battery.

Not reinventing anything, just messing around :)
I can see kids and some of my arty friends wanting these though. I'll get some double sided board for my next attempt and see how much I can shave off my ferrite beads (smallest I have is 5mmx8mm) then try making some clear resin rings. I also have QTC pills so it turns on with a squeeze :)

I love it. Ferrite Joule Thief rings. This could be a killer product! Can you get ferrite in fashion colors?

Of course, this could turn some jewel thieves into Joule Thief thieves.

Bob

Last edited:
As it happens I have the perfect thing - found some adhesive backed ferrite strip stuff I got ages ago (for sticking on the wall and putting magnets on) - just need to cut some suitably sized strips and loop - custom fit :)

As for colours, the whole thing will be encased in a resin mold anyway with a hole in the back for the battery) , so thats where the colours go or can be clear for that visible bits effect.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
What about using a hematite ring? Granted, ferrite may be better, but hematite rings are cheap.