Maker Pro
Maker Pro

wireless Alarm issue - SX-V

I am re-programming my rollins/ITI SX-VI after a power outage.
I have two issues:

1) I have reprogrammed the CPU using the touchpads , but I have a code HH in the sensor number and cannot understand what it is from. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2) I am trying to find anyone willing to sell me an ITI Handheld
Programmer (60-371) for the SX-V security system. ITI (now GE) will
not sell direct to consumers. I actually have a SX-VI, but think it is the same device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-g

Hi gsun, just to get our terminology straight: There's no such thing as an SX-VI.

The Rollins name for the SX-5 (SX-V) is the "System 6" (System VI). Notice I don't pretend to count in Latin like ITI and Rollins. I prefer to write using the numerals of the language I write in. Saves confusion in speech. Lots of people have told me they have an "Ess-Eks-Vee" system, or a Rollins "System-Vee-Eye".

So you're right, it's an ITI SX-5 system. Good luck with getting a handheld programmer--that system and its generation were discontinued in the early/mid 90's and AFAIK, the programmer you're looking for went out of production with them. Some techs still have them here and there but they're rare as hens teeth at this point. Mine finally went south a few years ago and I have to rendezvous with a friend to program SX-5 sensors on the rare occasions I need to. He doesn't let his programmer out of his sight--which is wise of him.

I'm guessing you need the programmer because you don't know your house code and want to read it off one of the sensors. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you may have to seek help from a pro in your area, whom you need to ask if he has the handheld programmer before you let him come over. But before you do that, check every square inch of any documentation you have on the system, or paper in the control cabinet (where the CPU is housed) including anything stuck inside the door. Look for a number between 1 and 256 to try for a house code (assuming my guess is right). Techs usually write the house code down somewhere in the cabinet.

Another thing about these old systems: You should have a zone list of all your sensors. Make sure you know which sensor number you're reading _before_ you try to read it. You may need to reprogram the sensor too.

The tamper buttons, which look like black plastic square boxes on the PCB's, are extremely prone to stick down (closed) with age. This simulates the cover still being on the PCB.
If the tamper button is stuck down when you use the handheld programmer to try to read the sensor, it wipes memory from the sensor! So (1) know the sensor number before you try to read it, and (2) make sure the tamper button is up--push it a few times and make sure it's unstuck and springs back up. You cannot read or program these sensors with the tamper button down.

Also--you may have replaced your battery but here's some advice from someone who's averted the disaster you're going through. You don't have to use the model battery that came with the panel from the factory.

Over ten years ago, I started replacing those dinky 3.2 Ah batteries with 6V, 10 Ah batteries. The panel has no trouble charging up a bigger battery in the same voltage. Sealed lead-acid gel batteries are versatile that way. At least one of my customers with a huge system had a 5-day power outage and the oversize battery saved him all kinds of grief. I usually install a small cabinet under the CPU cabinet to hold the battery.

Final question: When was the last time you changed the sensor batteries? You're probably aware that they lose program memory too if the lithium battery goes dead? Are you also aware that you may have only hours between the first supervisory signal and the battery going dead?

I'm sending you a PM as soon as I post this.

Last edited:
HH code on SX-V

Thanks.

I know the house code, so that's not an issue. Also, once programmed, the system does seem to hear the sensors onces I've programed it. I have it on level 2 and it chimes appropriately when doors are opened. My issue is that there is a constant HH code in the sensor number, so it doesn't tell me which sensor has been tripped.

I've checked all the documentation and I have lots - but can't find this HH code listed. I've reset the memory and it still seems to say HH. Perhaps it is the tamper switches?

Confused?

Hmmm....to be honest, I don't remember ever seeing an "HH" in the display, nor in the Installation & Programming manual. My own manual is not at hand, but if you programmed your panel, you obviously looked through yours.

It's not the tamper switches--they show up on the CPU sensor number display the same as faulting/opening the zone sensor/transmitter (which ITI called a "port" in the literature, IIRC).

Is there anything else out of the normal being displayed? Low CPU battery? Any supervisory troubles? Have you changed the CPU battery?

I have not changed the CPU battery, and the device has been off for about a month - not sure if that plays into the issue. Everything else looks normal - and as I said, the device is functioning in that I hear the chimes when openning doors - just don't see which sensor is being tripped as it says HH.

HH code on SX-V

Thanks.

I know the house code, so that's not an issue. Also, once programmed, the system does seem to hear the sensors onces I've programed it. I have it on level 2 and it chimes appropriately when doors are opened. My issue is that there is a constant HH code in the sensor number, so it doesn't tell me which sensor has been tripped.

I've checked all the documentation and I have lots - but can't find this HH code listed. I've reset the memory and it still seems to say HH. Perhaps it is the tamper switches?

Confused?
don't if you got your answer but anyway HH= Hours