Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wind instrument finger movement analyses

I'm completely new to electronics and want to measure individual finger movements on one specific wind instrument in the hope of either creating a teaching aid or a new form of electronic instrument. Can anybody recommend any components for this? or the best way to do it? My first thoughts were either some sort of close-range proximity sensor or a twin part system consisting of LED and separate light sensor with a raspberry pi.

I'm completely new to electronics and want to measure individual finger movements on one specific wind instrument in the hope of either creating a teaching aid or a new form of electronic instrument. Can anybody recommend any components for this? or the best way to do it? My first thoughts were either some sort of close-range proximity sensor or a twin part system consisting of LED and separate light sensor with a raspberry pi.
If I were you, I'd avoid the Pi for this for most applications you may end up applying.
You have a couple options in my opinion:
-Independent sensors.
-Image recognition.

The sensor approach will require a position, or angular sensor for each moving part, whereas the image recognition will require quite a bit more work on the software side of things, but will only require slight modifications to track additional points.
Regardless of your approach, I have theory, but no practice on the subject.
In addition to the electronics, check out OpenCV for the image recognition portion of the project if you decide that route.

Thank you so kindly sir for a such a fast and helpful response. I had thought about image recognition, such as folk use to improve their golf swing or something like that, but I was afraid of the "real time'' nature needed to give an artificial instrument the feel of a live instrument.