Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why does a dc motor "stutter"

I have a 12v motor, scavenged from an inkjet printer (there isn't a model # on the motor). I have a pulley set up on the motor, that moves a load of about 375 grams. When I connect the motor to 12v, the pulley "jumps"(like a stepper motor) about a mm or so, but then stops, and wont move any more until it is disconnected and then reconnected to 12v. Why is this happening? I wasn't expecting this to happen, but actually I am building a small scale cnc, so this is actually pretty useful. The only thing is, I need a way to make this more precise, so that I can tell how much the motor moves each "jump". I would also like to know, if it is possible, how to make the motor run continuously, without stuttering.

It shouldn't, what is the exact nature of the motor?
Sounds more like a stepper motor, if anything?
The CNC system would need to be pretty small if it is a stepper of that size, which they often are from prointers etc.
M.

How many wires come from the motor? If it's more than 2 then it's as @Minder suggests, a stepper motor.

If there are only two - and some printers use normal motors mounted with slotted opto-couplers - then the motor could just be stalling under load and may require reduction gearing to increase torque.

Does it run continuously when not loaded? If not it likely is a stepper, or a brushless DC motor that requires external electronics to run it. A picture might be useful.

Bob

I have never used stepper motor but this sounds as if it is one.
You can probably find the steps/turn by energising one winding with a steady current and counting the number of 'cogs'.