Maker Pro
Maker Pro

which power supply for my intervalometer?

Hello everybody,

I'm new to electronics, but managed to build an intervalometer for my camera. I used an IR receiver and an Arduino board to decode the remote signal and made a set-up that sends this signal. I've also added a small LCD screen on which I can configure the interval and time. But now I want to make my project not dependant on the Arduino board, but a standalone box powered by batteries. I plan to use one of the ATtiny chips for this, which I'll program using the Arduino.

I have absolutely no clue what kind of powersupply I should use for this project. Should I try to match the needed supply voltages for all the components by adding up batteries, or is it better to use a 9 V battery with a voltage divider? Long battery life is a must have in this case!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is the average interval time you desire? I ask because obviously the faster the interval time, the more it will drain your power source.

If power conservation is critical then the voltage divider is somewhat wasteful IMO, the resistors required to form the voltage divider would waste energy, dissipating it as heat. So, the name of the game here is, the fewer components between your power source and main component, the better.

Thanks for your reply!

The interval is user specified via a menu on the LCD, say from a few seconds to a few minutes. Would adding more batteries add more time, or just ramp up the voltage? I'm quite unsure as to what limits I'm facing, I don't want to burn anything :)