Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Which photo sensor for replacement?

Hello All, Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I am not a electronics guy and have a question/problem I need help with.

I have a new twin head security security light ( brand unknown) that is 3-4 years old and just now installed it.
The light will come on at dark but stay on, the motion sensor has no effect on it. In test mode it will sense motion and appear to function properly.

I tested the photo eye for ohms and get "OL" on my fluke in daylight, low light and dark. Does that mean the eye is bad? If so how do I know which cds photosensor I need for replacement? I am using the motion/photo sensor to control a 120 volt LED smart IC cob If that makes a difference. Just using the controls not the lamp holders.
I am a disabled senior that survives on a small monthly check and can afford a $6.00 replacement eye but not a $40+ light just to use the control head.
This is to light the way to my wife's chickens, guineas, duck pens for feeding gathering eggs etc. and prevent me from those duties if she were to step on a snake in the dark.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is the last obstacle for having the chinese special LED chip burning.
Also before I forget it. Do I need some type of spike/surge device at the light? If so any inline suggestions? What and where to purchase?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Thanks Bluejets, I am curious to why as is no return. can it be 12v and 120v on the same head? it says 12v then a higher voltage like 85-265v. I think I will continue to look around to see what I can find. Thanks for your help.

If you do not know the difference and you are about to play with mains voltage, probably the best to leave it to an electrician before you do some damage.
To yourself or others as well as any associated equipment involved.

To answer the question though, there are 2 units available.
One operates at 12v level the other at mains potential anywhere between 85 and 265v mains ac.

Bluejets, It has both in the description. All I can figure is the guy is trying to advertise both and you have a choice while checking out. Thank you for your concern for my well being I do appreciate it. It will be mounted on a pole 200 ft from my house. As far as electronics I really have no experience except for little projects like this. I do have some experience in the electrical trades, I started in 1976 doing electrical/HVACR/plumbing/carpentry/metal building erector, etc. In 1987 I started my own company less the house building and metal building construction. After 40 years and working with a bad back I left the work for the younger people. I always wanted to learn electronics repair but never had the time. Our local Community college offered night classes in all the trades but I never managed to take any courses now at 65 and disabled with a touch of dementia I guess I would forget about 80% of what I learned.