Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Woo-Woo What is slowing my generator down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I made a hobby generator, about 3" high, consisting of a simple coil of copper wire, with a magnetic sphere that turns inside as a rotor. By turning it with a small motor, I was hoping to use it as an alternator for my own electrical expiriments. As it is, it is pretty powerful, giving an output of over 20 volts for an input of only 6, but I think that worked against my advantage, since whenever I put the wires together, with the rotor spinning at high speed, the wires spark, and the whole assembly turns and is wrenched out of my hands. If I try to get the motor up to speed with the wires touching, the rotor turns very slowly, almost as if it has to work against another magnetic field each time it turns 180 degrees. I get the same result if I put a transformer winding, a diode, or any other small load across the coil.
My theory is that the magnetic field made by the generator's stator coil opposes the magnetic field of the rotor, thereby slowing it down. Am I right? And if so, is there a way to negate this effect? Or must I resort to a different generator design?
Here is a link to the CAD files, giving you guys an idea of my design:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5...945499eee5c368949e/e/7e0be97fd92f302eff3f1e2a

davenn

So I made a hobby generator, about 3" high, consisting of a simple coil of copper wire, with a magnetic sphere that turns inside as a rotor. By turning it with a small motor, I was hoping to use it as an alternator for my own electrical expiriments. As it is, it is pretty powerful, giving an output of over 20 volts for an input of only 6, but I think that worked against my advantage, since whenever I put the wires together, with the rotor spinning at high speed, the wires spark, and the whole assembly turns and is wrenched out of my hands. If I try to get the motor up to speed with the wires touching, the rotor turns very slowly, almost as if it has to work against another magnetic field each time it turns 180 degrees. I get the same result if I put a transformer winding, a diode, or any other small load across the coil.
My theory is that the magnetic field made by the generator's stator coil opposes the magnetic field of the rotor, thereby slowing it down. Am I right? And if so, is there a way to negate this effect? Or must I resort to a different generator design?
Here is a link to the CAD files, giving you guys an idea of my design:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5...945499eee5c368949e/e/7e0be97fd92f302eff3f1e2a

your post doesn't male sense like this comment .....
As it is, it is pretty powerful, giving an output of over 20 volts for an input of only 6,

you don't input electrical power into a Generator

Also your link to your cad design is not accessible .... it needs a login and password

This could be one of those crazy free energy topics, but I'll restate the optimistic guess interpretation I have of the post.

GeneratorMaker (GM) has made a crude generator.
GM is spinning it with a ready made motor, giving that motor 6V to test the generator.

GM gives the ready made motor 6V and observes 20V out of homemade generator with no load. Not free energy, merely a matter of the generator # of windings.

GM touches (shorts) the homemade generator leads together and/or powers other misc. loads, so now it has a load and finds the 6V motor has a hard time spinning the generator.

If this is true it is not opposing magnetic fields that is the problem. Well that is the case but not a direct magnetic interaction, a result not a cause, a result of input power not being sufficient to produce the needed output power + losses, and could also mean rather than just more input power, needs a more powerful (capable) motor to spin the generator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.