Maker Pro
Maker Pro

West Marine sailboat dual battery charger

I need help. Im repairing a sailboat for a big adventure and the battery charger does not work. It is a West Marine 20 amp two-battery charger. It is 110V going in and is wired into the shore power source (the dock plug) through the breaker panel. I am unable to find a model number or the actual manufacturer (West Marine is the Home Depot of boat stuff).

Being the handy type, I opened up the charger and found a capacitor popped, or blew up, or shattered, whatever. If its a capacitor. My buddy the musician computer egghead says its a capacitor. All fuses were fine.

It was an orange, bed pillow shaped, about 8-10 mm long, with 2 parallel wires going into the board. The markings on the capacitor: "6.8K400." I found nothing that matches, went to motorola and got no help, went to Radio Shack and found I know more than they do, went to a fire systems company and they just didnt want to talk to me, and then to another Radio Shack just to confirm Im stupid.

I have tried many searches but I dont know what Im looking for, and nothing came back with the same numbers.

If a picture is needed I might be able to coax my camera to go macro on the board. But if someone knows off hand the part I might need, or how to find it, that would be very cool.

Jerry

davenn

hey Jerry

how about a photo of it or the remains gonna be a lot easier for some one to identify

it could be a capacitor or maybe a resistor ???

Dave

Does it matter what kind or type, like metalic, aluminum, film? The capacitors I find are all types and sizes, for different applications like audio. I find none that are like the one that broke.

davenn

Does it matter what kind or type, like metalic, aluminum, film? The capacitors I find are all types and sizes, for different applications like audio. I find none that are like the one that broke.

the 2 shown look like poyester or maybe mylar style
go for one along that type :)

Dave