Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Weller EC1002 Soldering station repair

I acquired a couple Weller EC1002-0 soldering stations. They all appear to have the same issue. The toggle switch lights up, but the iron doesn't heat up. I figured I would try to get them to work and donate them. I read some older posts on this site and read the documents posted on BAMA. I verified the 1201A irons are good by testing them on a known working unit that I have. The circuit boards are of the ceramic type. I replaced the triac with no improvement. I verified that the transformer is putting out the 24VAC without the iron, but once the iron is plugged into the base, that drops to mA. Any troubleshooting suggestions from someone who knows these would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

I am still battling an EC2100 unit, ceramic board, I think it is EC239. After lots of troubleshooting, I raised it against daylight by an accident and noticed numerous cracks on the board - mostly through tracks. Did verify with a multimeter that these cracks had discontinued the conductivity.

I did contact Weller support for a replacement part and they took 2 weeks to send me a sales person instead (from their Italy office). Really disappointed by them and this is definitely my last Weller product.

Anyways, my station displays erratic numbers and after lots of struggle with it, I went so far to copy and redo the circuit board - ordered new PCBs according to my design and yesterday swapped the components. It still produces random numbers and the issues are I think same as yours - it produces 24VAC at the outlet, once the iron (EC1302A in my case) is connected power is cut off. I did notice that the Weller control chip did not output any voltage (should be 5VAC) to the sensor pins - 5 and 6 (starting from the triac side). Can you measure yours and see if you`re getting 5VAC there? If not, then it might be the same situation and I think this is the culprit - the chip has failed and as it detects zero voltage, it won`t switch the triac on.

You have probably done it, but does the sensor & heater measure good?

i have exact same problem, followed suggestions on earlier post to cleanup residue from tape, cleaned entire board, even desoldered one side of the chip and cleaned underneath, same problem, nothing changed, i think yes problem with chip.
my backup plan is to make arduino based control board and place inside.(i have 2 units with same exact roblem)
at my workplace we have 1000$ worth weller WRX soldering station as well , dont like at all, those all trush,
HAKKO forever...