Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Water level sensing technique for conductive sensors

Hello...

I am making simple water level indicator, using PIC microcontroller. For that i used total 4 sensors. Sensor is made up using SS-316 steel.In 4 sensor, one sensor i am using as common sensor which i put at bottom of tank and i applied 5V DC to it. Whereas another sensors i used to indicate different level of tank and i connect it to microcontroller pins, and pull down using 10K resistor. I put this sensors inside water tank and leaved it in tank for 5 days. After checking 5 days sensors condition was : Common Sensor with 5V DC become corrosive (Oxidation). And another sensor which pulled down using 10K resistor become covers with grey particals. See attached sensor photo after 5 days of use.

Please suggest, is it right method to detect water level..? Or i should try any different way for it.?

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_194450.jpg
    IMG_20170801_194450.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 98
Float sensors, float switches, ultrasonic, pressure.... by using DC you are suffering electrolysis effects. Whilst 'solid' metal sensors are possible they usually rely on being driven by an AC signal to alleviate this effect.