Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Water level Controller - Arduino Based

Hi, my name is swapnil. I am trying to make a water level controller using arduino. I refered many circuit ideas for different website and made my own design. Simulated it in Protues and it worked fine. Also i designed my PCB in eagle and started implementing.
Everything was going as per plan, but when i tried to test the input sensors voltage, i got major voltage drop due to water acting as resistance between the sensors.
For sensor - I used a PVC pipe, in which Cat 6 LAN cable is inserted. One wire of LAN cable is connected at bottom of PVC pipe with a stainless steel metal. This wire is also connected to 5V supply through board. Same way other sensors are connected to different levels of PVC pipes. Now when water rises till 1/4 tank full sensor, arduino will get the voltage at its digital input pins (Because of water, 5V sensor and 1/4 tank full sensor will get short).
Now the problem here is, water is conductive but with high resistance since its not much salty, so instead of getting 5V at 1/4 tank full sensor, i am getting around 2-3 volts.
My board is also ready and sensor set for both Below tank and overhead tank are both ready, and my program also works fine. but i am stuck at this voltage drop problem.
I had one thing in mind, what if i use a intermidiate circuit betweent he sensor set and board, which will detect any voltage above 0V and give output 5V. But i am not getting any such circuit ideas to build one.

i have attached proteus file, to get an idea.

Anyone have any idea.. how to tackle this problem.

Attachments

• WLC proteus schematic.jpg
    WLC proteus schematic.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,197
  • WLC circuit idea 1.jpg
    WLC circuit idea 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 739
You may be better off to earth the water tank instead of trying to hold it at 5V above earth. It depends on what the water system is connected to.

The detectors should then be held at 5V through a 100k resistance and the voltage out would drop when the water contacted the sensor.

LEDs D7-11 won't light if they are in series with the water-level sensor probes of the type described.

But the D7-11 are not in series to arduino input, LEd run parallel. will this system work? do i have to change the resistance of 220 ohm to 100K for R3-R13 ??