Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wall-Mounted TV, for Powerpoint presentations

HI,

New to this forum, so forgive me if a similar question has already been answered.

I had a technical question in relation to a wall-mounted TV used for presentations for a business in Central London.

We are looking for a monitor/TV screen to mount onto one of our walls, for the purpose of showcasing a powerpoint presentation (or similar) to our patrons/members. The monitor needs to be large (roughly 42”) and ideally have the capability of performing such a task.

Basically, we want to know the best way of going about this. I'm guessing that the purchase of an all-in-one TV, with built in DVD is the easiest solution. [The powerpoint presentation could be burnt onto the DVD]. However the screen has to be large...ideally 42"

So, is there a 42” TV or similar size, with a built in DVD player somewhere on the market? Or can anyone suggest another product that can showcase presentations? Ideally, we are trying avoid having an external source, such as a laptop or computer wired in, to prevent excess cables.

If anyone can relate to having wall mounted monitors for business, or has any advice, I would be truly greatful!

Regards,

a screen that large with a DVD built in would be expensive and would probably be lower resolution

Youd be better off getting almost any brand LCD 42" screen, just make sure that it has a VGA port on the back
Looks like this:
300px-SVGA_port.jpg

That way you can connect a laptop or PC to it (either through the wall, or via a longer cable routed somewhere nearby)

The other option would be to find one that has a USB port on the side, load up the presentation on a flash drive, the only draw back is that you will need to take screenshots of all the "slides" that you want to show, there are no TV's out there that I know of that will play powerpoint files or any slide show files for that matter (for this option I would recommend one of the better model TV's, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, LG, Sharp, etc as they are more likely to have variety of settings for the images)

You can also get VGA over Cat6 baluns, this would probably be a cheaper route the purchasing a long VGA cable and trying to fish that through the walls or laying on the floor for everyone to trip on. Re-terminating VGA ends is not fun.
Cat6 is relatively cheap. You can upgrade later to a HDMI balun. Most laptops these days have HDMI outputs, you could then do your presentations in HD. If wows are needed.

Most laptops these days have HDMI outputs, you could then do your presentations in HD. If wows are needed.

Yeah, personally I would aim for your run of the mill 42" HDMI TVs, and if need be have access to a VGA to HDMI and DVI to HDMI converter on a needed basis...

VGA is pretty much over (IMO) HDMI and DVI are the new boys in town, but HDMI is IMO the way to go as it's much more universal...

And you can run HDMI over CAT6 lines for many meters, offering low cost in wall wiring...

Last edited: