Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage and current relation difference between Ohm's law and Power

Hi I am new to this forum According to Ohms law, at constant temperature voltage is directly proportonal to current.
But when we come to power formula p=vi which means that V is inversly proportional to I. How can we justify this?
Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yar i know that both are not same but they relate same things no? and that to a law must be satisfied for all the things. We know that ohms law is valid only for ohmic conductors but power is same formula no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yar i know that both are not same but they relate same things no?and that to a law must be satisfied for all the things.We know that ohms law is valid only for ohmic conductors but power is same formula no?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Here's an image that shows all of the different ways to relate power, voltage, current and resistance:

Ohm's_Law_Pie_chart.svg

What do you believe isn't able to be justified?

But when we come to power formula p=vi which means that V is inversly proportional to I. How can we justify this?

No, it doesn't. There is nothing to justify because your statement is incorrect.

For a constant resistance, voltage is directly proportional to current.
For a constant power, voltage is inversely proportional to current.

ak

Last edited:
Hi I am new to this forum According to Ohms law, at constant temperature voltage is directly proportonal to current.
What do you mean justify?
Adam

First of all, Ohm's law is not V=I*R, and all its variations. Regardless of what predominates the electrical literature, a good physics book will tell you that Ohm's law is an electrical property of a material, specifically its electrical linearity. I can provide documentation for that statement if necessary.

So V=I*R is correct, but it is not Ohm's law. It is a definition. R is defined by the amount of current present at a specific voltage (R=V/I). Voltage is the electrical energy density of the charge (joules/coulomb). If V volts are lost to move Q coulombs of charge, then the energy expended is E=V*Q. Power is rate of energy and current is rate of charge. Dividing both sides of E=V*Q by t gives P=V*I.

Ratch

Last edited: