Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unknown LED symbol

Hi,
i need a help with LED symbol, is it any special led? (picture bellow). It is in my motorbike dashboard, thanks.

LED.jpg

I have never seen it drawn like that but I'll throw out a guess that that oblique triangle on top is saying it's used for a turn indicator.. Only a guess.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I was thinking it was a LED disguised as a shark -- with a tracking device on it!

Maybe a shark with LEDs on it's head! :D

I'll go with alfa88.

I don't think that it is an LED, that looks like it would be something like a transistor, the triangle looks like the inversion indicator, and the arrow coming out would be a third pin.

Where is this image coming from?
Are there any connections?

Perhaps a Laser LED - the arrow indicating the light is coherent?

Or Vacuum Tube Diode - it's a 3 terminal device and the heater is often shown as a triangle.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Hi,
i need a help with LED symbol, is it any special led? (picture bellow). It is in my motorbike dashboard, thanks.

LED.jpg

Not sure if you're still around.

An image of the actual LED would be good. I would not be assuming it is anything other than a regular (perhaps bright) LED since there's unlikely to be any weird devices on a motorbike.

The weirdest it could be is a side emitting surface mount LED.

A don't agree that it has 3 connections, but you could confirm this by looking at the board on which it is mounted.

i have seen something simliar but not that exact picture. the "N" with an arrow wasn't connected to the "O" of the diode though... in fact there was no "O" around it. this was in a kit for kids many years ago. and in that kit the symbol was a simple diode. hope that helps
http://mypages.iit.edu/~smart/acadyear/circuits.htm just saw this in my travels, the second schematic shows the symbol I was talking about

Last edited:
@GonzoEngineer

Your older than me. I'm 62 yrs old and also never saw that symbol before.

It might be part of schematic diagram of flying saucer anti-gravity generator.:D

Maybe the 'N' with an arrow on it is supposed to be a wavy line with an arrow at the end.

Maybe the artist could not make a wavy line with whatever he used to make the drawing.

Could you identify the actual device and take a picture of it to send us?