Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Universal power supply 24...260VAC/DC for PC Boards

Hi there,
I'm looking for a component (chip or regulator) or a schematic for several discrete components that can replace the transformer (1.5VA) power supply on my PC-Boards. The input ranges btw. 24...260VAC/DC and I need about 12VDC at 1.5W output for my circuits. There are multi-voltage devices with those specs on the market (Carlo Gavazzi, etc.), so it can be done. If anyone could help? Thank you & regards,
DBM ELECTRO

1.5W or 1.5A?

You are attempting to integrate the wall wart into the device? Or just power it? It's generally more economical to simply use a wall wart vs an integrated solution that is basically a wall wart anyway just built in...

DBM Electro, I'm going to copy and past the visitor message you left me into this thread as that is where the conversation is taking place...

Thx for your reply. I need a component or comppnents small enough
to fit onto a pc board. (size of a PIC chip e.g.). I want to input any
Voltage between 24VAC or DC and 260VAC or DC and have
Reasonably stable 12VDC output at 1.5W for the rest of my circuit.
Regards
DBM ELECTRO

What you request is a TALL order! Trying to get a power supply that can accept 24- 260 volts DC or AC input and put out a regulated 12 VDC all in a 'chip' size package would be industry changing... You suggest that there are such devices out there from Carlo Gavazzi, etc., but I failed to see any such device on Carlo Gavazzi's site that was anywhere near the specifications you have laid out... They do have smaller sized switching regulators about the size of paperback books, but those are still far from the input voltage and physical size specifications you have given...

And again you are stating you only want 1.5W out, as in 12 volts @ 125mA?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I suspect DBM needs to consider the requirements and prioritise them. I also suspect that there are other constraints to consider.

It may turn into a slightly more complex version of "You have N requirements, choose any M" (for M < N).

Let's look at those requirements (and some others):

1. 1.5W - not a problem. Although from a 1.5VA supply, it could be.
  2. AC or DC powered. Not a problem. Most SMPS's rectify the input voltage anyway.
  3. 24 to 260V. That's a wide range. 90 to 260 is fairly common. Could you get away with that?
  4. 12V output -- not a problem
  5. Isolation. Do you need isolation between input and output? Legal isolation?
  6. Heatsinks. Does the size include any heatsink required?
  7. height. Any restriction?
  8. Area. (the size of a pair of 16 pin DIL chips should be achievable)
If you take a look at some of the small LED driver boards, you'll see that mains powered SMPS boards can be very small. However they are probably lacking in (3), (5), and (8) (the last not by much).

Hi Coca Cola!
I'm still not too sure how to use this Forum. I can't seem to find our last conversation. I would like to send you pic's of the Timers that feature the 12-240VAC/DC power input ranges and have 12VDC or even 5VDC output. These are installed inside "ZAMEL CET" timers that clip onto DIN rail. Since the entire device is only the size of a single pole DIN-mountable circuit breaker and has other main functions (such as timing), I would think that this voltage converter is fairly small (the size of a chip or LM78... for instance). Any ideas? Thank you very much. Regards, DBM ELECTRO

Ok, I think I've figured out this thing (Forum) works. Thank you all for your input. The devices, that feature such a power input otion (12 to 240VAC/DC) are the ZAMEL CET timers (used to be made by Carlo Gavazzi) PCM-01/U, PCM-02/U & PCM-06/U, that can be found on page 13 of the 2011/12 AC/DC Dynamics catalog. Since these timers are only the size of a single module, DIN mountable circuit breaker, I assumed, that the device converting the voltage to be rather small (like a LM7805, a PIC chip or a rectifier for instance). Any ideas, anyone? Thanks so much.
Regards,
DBM ELECTRO

Since these timers are only the size of a single module, DIN mountable circuit breaker, I assumed, that the device converting the voltage to be rather small (like a LM7805, a PIC chip or a rectifier for instance). Any ideas, anyone? Thanks so much.

They are about 17.5mm x 81mm x 67.2mm that is quite a big larger then a single 'PIC' chip... And these are not power supplies they are timers, they don't output a steady voltage they time and trip a relay... You are really comparing apples to oranges here... I'm sure they do have some internal voltage regulation but they are not souring it for outside use, and I have no idea what that voltage might be regulated to internally...

I have no doubt you can get a basic power supply to suit your needs but your goal to have it the size "like a LM7805, a PIC chip or a rectifier for instance" is a little optimistic...

And again I would like to confirm that you want 1.5W out, as in 12 volts @ 125mA? You talk about it powering your 'circuits' that isn't much juice, especially if it's powering multiple circuits and I want to make sure you are correct in this regard...

Last edited: