Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Turn off ALL power to LED

Hello all, new here.

So I've been playing around with creating basic solar LED yard lights, auto on/off controlled through solar cell voltage using a QX5252. All good so are. The other day my wife asked if I could convert one of the 'flame effect' lights to something similar, so I tore it apart and found that it actually runs on 3v DC. No problem I thought, should be pretty simple. Well, what I found out is those bulbs actually have 3 modes of operation and when running from the AC circuit, as it drops all power to the LED when AC is turned off, but on my basic circuit, it appears to still get enough power from somewhere that when triggered to come on, it actually switches to the next mode.

I'm wondering if there is a simple way cut all power to the LED? The circuit I'm using does include a diode and small capacitor to keep the voltage active for color changing LEDs, etc.

Thank you

Please post your schematic so we can see where the magic power is coming from. The magic power is probably coming from the solar panel. My LED solar garden lights produce light in the daytime when the battery is removed.
The QX5252 produces DC pulses, not AC. The diode and capacitor smooth the pulses that you do not notice with an ordinary LED but the colors changing LED needs the smooth DC.