Maker Pro
Maker Pro

trying to build a cable aving brain cramp

i hope someone in here can help me it has been fifteen years since i had to build a cable and i ave to now, i ave an epson elp3300 projector that did not come with the cable to connect to the projector to the computer. i have the pin out docs and the parts need to build the thing but cannot remember how to read this puppy i would like to do this right the first time as it might screw something up if you now what i mean. if i send the docs to someone or draw of what i have can someone here help me make heads or tails.
doc

Attachments

• elp33_pg.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
According to the documentation you have provided, there are 2 inputs. The 15 pin VGA connection should just require a standard VGA cable.

I guess it also depends on the connections you have available on your PC, but they too are likely to be standard.

These days it is likely to be cheaper to purchase a cable than to buy the connectors, let alone the cable.

i do not wish to spend a fortune trying to get one as they are no longer manufactured from epson nor are they selling them anymore online. what i would like is sort of a diagram showing the different plugs facing me with lines showing what pins to connect to. the "y" cable has the plug that goes into the projector the 26 pin sub d male connector then a 15 pin male and female 15 pin vga connector i just cannot get my head around where to connect the pins from the information provided me. sort of like a drawing will speak a thousand words. i used to build serial cables and printer cables years ago but have long since forgot how to make te connections so any help would be great.
doc

davenn

i do not wish to spend a fortune trying to get one as they are no longer manufactured from epson nor are they selling them anymore online. what i would like is sort of a diagram showing the different plugs facing me with lines showing what pins to connect to. the "y" cable has the plug that goes into the projector the 26 pin sub d male connector then a 15 pin male and female 15 pin vga connector i just cannot get my head around where to connect the pins from the information provided me. sort of like a drawing will speak a thousand words. i used to build serial cables and printer cables years ago but have long since forgot how to make te connections so any help would be great.
doc

why do you want a Y cable ? as steve said a standard 15 pin VGA cable suits 99.99% of computers and projectors, I havent seen a computer yet that doesnt have a 15pin socket on the back of it
where did you want the oddball 26pin connector to go ? You dont need to feed signal into the 26pin socket and the 15 pin socket at the same time. Just the 15pin socketed cable should be ok . Those cables are available for under $10

Dave

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
OK, now I see it (I downloaded the full manual) The projector does not have VGA connections, you need a Y cable that converts the single 26 pin connector to a pair of VGA connections.

The excerpt of the manual yo provided does not make that abundantly clear.

Assuming that both the monitor and the PC have female VGA connectors, then I think the best approach is to get a normal male to male VGA cable, cut it in half and wire the appropriate wires to the correct places.

I would do that because sourcing the correct cable is probably a lot more hard work. If you do not decide to go this route, and decide to wire it up yourself, then there is obviously no difference in how things get wired up.

Use a multimeter to determine which wire connects where, then...

vga in --- ELP 3000
1 --- 9
2 --- 18
3 --- 8
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 --- 20, 21, 22 (all connected together)
13 --- 2
14 --- 1

And for the monitor output

vga out --- ELP3000

1 --- 15
2 --- 5
3 --- 14
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 --- 20, 21, 22 (all connected together)
13 --- 11
14 --- 10

I'm pretty sure that's correct, but no guarantees.

edit: I'm glad I'm not the only one who got fooled by this.

drhemlock,
I am a missionary in Papua New Guinea. I have lost my "Y" cable for my EPL-3000 projector and caught your thread regarding trying to build a new one. Did you have success in completing this task? If so could you respond with an email so we can chat?
Dan F