Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trouble shooting a an old DCV Converter

I have a pre 1975 camper with a Newmark DCV converter. When I hook up the marine battery the converter blows a fuse. It has 2 30 amp fuses labelled car battery and only one is the culprit. I would like to know if the battery I am hooking up is compatible with the converter? Could it be putting out to many amps for the fuse? or is it possible there is something wrong with the converter and can it be tested? The camper is wired with white being negative which is pretty standard in this situation. I have included some pics and have pulled the converter and get more details if needed. battery.jpeg converter.jpeg

Hello Markkram,

deep cycle battery is a very good choice. Not the problem. Converters back then weren't very elaborate, usually a large transformer inside, 1 maybe 2 selenium rectifiers, little else. Very basic, NO regulation!
Get a newer converter if possible.

There is also no isolation between batteries. If one battery is discharged, likely a fuse will blow as current from the fully charged battery will essentially be jumping it.

as far as testing;
Do any Rv lights work when the converter is powered by the AC input (with batteries unhooked or fuse pulled)?
does the fuse blow if all other fuses are removed? BTW, Holder should be cleaned and pinch together to get tight fit of fuse. a poor connection melts fuse element, a short blows gap in middle.
Easy tip; temporarily use a 12v bulb in place of the fuse that blows, (headlamp, fog, 1157, one which uses more than a "Test light" if current is flowing it will light up.
if it lights with all other fuses pulled and converter NOT powered on, the rectifier is shorted. replace complete converter.
If doesn't light up, re-install fuses 1 at a time to find which circuit is faulty.

also newer laws require a fuse or fusible link within 7" of positive battery connection.
thats to protect the wiring from battery on its way to the converter/inverter/chargers etc.

I think you need to hunt for a model number or at least a photo of what the internal connections are as it might be you have wrong connections.(frame connection on the bottom left for example)