Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tin Foil Hats -Phase 2

Assembly Magazine Jan 2018:
Three Square Market in Wisconsin (U.S.) now offers implantable RFID tags for people, about the size of a grain of rice, injected between thumb and index finger for $300. CEO of Three Square Market emphasizes that it is not designed to track people.

Hmmm. I wonder what other people, not involved in the design, might actually find 're-designed' uses for it?

Harald Kapp

Instead of stealing your wallet, muggers will cut your skin to get at your RFID tag.

The future's so brigth...

We've all (probably) see the movie where they hold an eyeball on the end of a pen to the 'retina identification' machine.........

Just don't ask for the RFID to be put in your 'tackle'....

As near as I could tell from the Editorial in the magazine, the purpose of this device is to make our lives easier, ...just like all the other ones we hear about. Instead of pulling-out your wallet and reaching for your credit card, you just stick your hand near the scanner.
I just don't understand how people can't see what a liability that is to their finances, when somebody decides they want to collect-up the info on all those loose RFID tags to convert for their own illegal use.
I just don't understand 'trust' issues, I guess.

As near as I could tell from the Editorial in the magazine, the purpose of this device is to make our lives easier, ...just like all the other ones we hear about. Instead of pulling-out your wallet and reaching for your credit card, you just stick your hand near the scanner.
I just don't understand how people can't see what a liability that is to their finances, when somebody decides they want to collect-up the info on all those loose RFID tags to convert for their own illegal use.
I just don't understand 'trust' issues, I guess.
dangerousthings has been selling kits to do this for years. many tags can't be attacked with a simple replay attack anymore either making stealing information a little more difficult.
of course, relay (or proxy) attacks are still valid and seem like they will be for quite some time. theft of money and cars are already occuring with this method.
Access control would be nice though, and I gotta say that I've been considering this for some time now for ease of access for various things. If security is a major concern, don't link your tag to anything super valuable.

So, somebody has something that can't be hacked?
I thought of the access control idea also. The building where I work requires a badge with a chip in it. If I lost the badge, I'd know it the same day. If I had the chip in my hand, and if theory of un-hackability turned-out to be incorrect: somebody sidles up to me and gets my chip information and I have no idea it happened. The hacker could breach my building the same day, a week or a month later, and nobody would know anything until after the breach was discovered (if ever). And guess who would be holding the bag for the breach & what's missing.
Our problem here is hackers attaching readers on fuel pumps, and stealing credit card information every time somebody swipes their credit card. You don't even need to use the card with these newest chips in them. A hacker just gets close to your wallet or your purse, and gets the 'goods'.
Don't get me wrong. I see how much easier all the new doo-dads make people's lives,...
What I don't see is why so many people are naïve about volunteering for them.
...I just don't understand the 'trust' issues, I guess.

So, somebody has something that can't be hacked?
I thought of the access control idea also. The building where I work requires a badge with a chip in it. If I lost the badge, I'd know it the same day. If I had the chip in my hand, and if theory of un-hackability turned-out to be incorrect: somebody sidles up to me and gets my chip information and I have no idea it happened. The hacker could breach my building the same day, a week or a month later, and nobody would know anything until after the breach was discovered (if ever). And guess who would be holding the bag for the breach & what's missing.
Our problem here is hackers attaching readers on fuel pumps, and stealing credit card information every time somebody swipes their credit card. You don't even need to use the card with these newest chips in them. A hacker just gets close to your wallet or your purse, and gets the 'goods'.
Don't get me wrong. I see how much easier all the new doo-dads make people's lives,...
What I don't see is why so many people are naïve about volunteering for them.
...I just don't understand the 'trust' issues, I guess.
Nothing is 'unhackable', but you can make it more difficult or time consuming... usually more time consuming.

I thought kellys_eye 'tin foil hat' post was pretty good. Then I saw that magazine article, and rather than hijack his post, started a 'Phase 2' of his original.
People are supposed to volunteer to be implanted with a RFID tag for whatever purpose, ...
and somehow those people don't seem to realize the repercussions of implanting something which sure as heck IS a way for electronic tracking/locating of YOUR BODY. Not your car, not your credit card, not anything you own. You're going to implant an electronic reading device in your body, like the chips you have installed in your pet dog in case it gets lost. Just having your body in close proximity to a device engineered to detect your implant TRACKS YOU.
BUT THAT'S NOT THE END OF IT:
You have a personal identification tag implanted in your body specifically unique to you. What happens, since you will never know about it when it happens, when that unique electronic identifier is downloaded to a hostile entity? That unique identifier is vulnerable to an untold number of mis-uses. Potentially a more severe stolen personal identity problem than losing a credit card number.
...Hey. This is a 'get your tin foil hats out' post. It's the little green men working for the men in black that made me concerned about this.