Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Timer Switch For Ride ON toy

Hello all...I am not going to pretend to be an electrical engineer or anything close. So I have come to the pros....HELP please. I want to convert a childrens 6V ride on train toy to a christmas decoration . To do so I want to be able to add a switch with a timer to it versus having to hold the on button down. Essentially I am trying to set it up to be able to run in intervals say every 15 minutes for 2-3 minutes at a time. What can I do?????

What power is available to the timer circuit?
What is the max voltage and current the timer circuit has to control?

For anything over 1 minute, I strongly prefer an oscillator/counter chip to a timer chip like the 555. It's the same body count (number of components), but the accuracy/stability/repeatability is way better. The circuitcan be adjustable sorta like a 555 design, but the part lends itself to fixed-ratio designs. For example, 2 minutes on every 16 minutes would adjust down to 1.5 minutes on every 12 minutes. Does this sound like what you are after?

ak

The max discharge current for a battery like that is around 10-12 A, so the circuit is the timer driving a 20 A logic level power MOSFET. Logic-level because a standard MOSFET likes around 10 V of gate "drive" (Vgs, the voltage from the gate to the source). 20 A because it always is best for semiconductors to operate at half (or less) of their rated whatever for long term reliability.

ak

Could use a 555 timer module with built in relay off Ebay for maybe $3. Just add a momentry button to kick off the timer which will reset and turn off you motor in whatever adjustable time. Usually the modules cover seconds to 10-15 minutes.