Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Timed Arduino, Solar Panel, Battery & 12V Pump HELP

Hi all,

I'm a struggling to do a project in less than 1 week for a charity and wondering if the www can help. I'm a complete electronics/Arduino beginner so please break down any suggestions, thanks!

The challenge:
I need a little water pump to run for 3 seconds with a 10 minute pause completely off the grid 24/7 from a battery. I need the battery to be charged using a solar panel and hold enough storage to run 2 days without sunlight. An Arduino is also needed to change the duration and interval of the pump.

What I know:

The pump requires ~12v @ ~270mA (5W)
and 64.8mAH (for 2 days of operation)
(pump runs for 18s per hour = 0.05h per hour
0.05h x 270mA = 1.35mAH
1.35 x 48hrs = 64.8mAH)

I also need to be able to take the battery on a flight so please recommend a suitable battery for the system (I was thinking maybe the Li-ion 18650? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311727421481?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT).

Pump: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222223864810?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

What is the simplest way to wire & code everything up? (Please also recommend any required components)
Any help is much appreciated!

davenn

PLEASE DONT post the same thing all over the forum !
I have deleted the other posts

I will let others try and answer your questions

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Hmm. Well here it is Friday already in the States. And you still have no clue how to throw the pump, the Arduino, and the 18650 Li-Ion batteries together in a package that will make it through airport security? Or is it just the batteries you want to carry on board or place in the baggage compartment? Any idea on how you will re-charge the batteries from a solar panel? Is that panel going to fly too, or will it be waiting for your arrival?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say, "No, I can't bring this about in less than a week." Or maybe you could, working around the clock to climb the learning curve, and finding someone to teach you Arduino applications. You can purchase a "shield" to stack on top of the Arduino to control the motor. There is sill that airport security thing though. Maybe you should choose a sealed lead-acid battery instead of "dangerous" Li-Ion. How many watt-hours of energy does the solar panel produce at the location where you will use the water pump and its Arduino controller? And where will you find the time to test this project after you put it all together?

The clock is ticking and I eagerly await reading responses from other eager members of this forum.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The battery drain from the Arduino will likely be higher than that for the motor. Remember to include it in your calculations.

We have recently had a few threads about simple charge controllers for lipo batteries. Check them out. https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/constant-voltage-load.272805/
Set that for 4.2V and place it across each lipo and charge via a small solar panel capable of no more than a couple of Watts.

Use a low quiescent current regulator and program the Arduino to spend most of its time asleep. A slow clock speed will also help.

Remember to place a reverse biased side across your motor.