Maker Pro
Maker Pro

This is me

I'm old enough to have been issued with a WW2 ration book when I was born, and freely admit to never having done anything at all with electronics in my life. However, that time has come as part of the restoration of a car that has 50 years of history with me!

Initially, I would like to do two things. The first is to make a Voltage Reducer (Limiter) to replace the old, unreliable electro mechanical one, which is no longer available anyway. For this, I have a component list as well as a circuit diagram. The second is to make a printed circuit. Again, this is no longer available. Later on if these are succesful, there are also other items that I would like to attempt.

To my first question on here. I realise that I will need to purchase some tools to complete these items. What exactly are recommended? I realise of course that I will need some kind of soldering iron (station?) as well as what I understand is called a "Third Hand," preferably one with some kind of magnifying glass. As a novice in the area, the choice of these seems a bit bewildering. What should I be looking for? All recommendations will be greatly received! What other tools would be required in addition to the ones mentioned?

Hope its ok to ask thesesimple, if not stupid questions in my first post! dont worry, they'll get more complicated as time passes!

Thanks for the welcome guys. davenn your signature is exactly how I feel right now...

My thoughts when I posted my intro were to ask about details such as pcb design, components etc. when I get that far. Right now, even choosing a soldering iron or station as I have seen them called is quite confusing. There are so many different ones on the market. What kind of wattage will I need? will I require different tips for different jobs? Do you have favourite manufacturers?

I did have a look at the two sub forums suggested, neither seemed to be the correct place to ask about tools. I can post there if it is considered to be better.

Harald Kapp

I did have a look at the two sub forums suggested, neither seemed to be the correct place to ask about tools. I can post there if it is considered to be better.
For that kind of questions I suggest the General Electronics Discussion.
Also use the search function (upper right) to look for threads with similar questions (soldering irons for one are a recurring topic).

Don't ask for the "best" tool. What's best depends on many factors:
- the application
- the size of your wallet

My two cents: With time you're going to build a collection of tools for different purposes. For example a small 10 W soldering iron with a small tip for working with components on a PCB plus a big 60 W soldering iron with a broad tip for working with thick wires plus a heat controlled soldering workstation for dealing with sensitive components.