Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Thinking about making a blender?

So I used to play with rc cars when I was younger but never knew how any of it worked, I was soldering small chips and things so I'm familiar with that. I'm in a few physics classes in school and I've really wanted to create something that I can actually use. I have a friend who was telling me about his Arduino and how you can do lots of different things with them, I was just wondering if it's something that won't be too difficult to do. I was thinking of having the arduino control a relay that would allow current to pass through my motor to spin the blades. I'm not looking to make something that is as practical as a normal blender and obviously won't look great but it will be nice to have something I can use that I made. I will probably have the pcb's mounted on wood along with the blender. If anyone could give me some advice on whether or not this sounds like something that wouldn't be too overwhelming or just completely unpractical I would appreciate it. Thanks

Are you interested in having a 12 volt motor on the top sort of like a milkshake machine?
Do you intend to control the voltage of the motor or just switch it on and off.
Are you going to use a transformer? Is the motor going to be DC?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
The electronics won't be a big deal but making a good frozen Daiquiri takes skill.:D

I am currently playing with arduino and some of its brothers (arduino is the brand but there are 3rd party equivalents).
I can tell you right now that a standard blender can be made alot easier then using arduino. Arduino uses a microcontroller which needs programming.
If you do get bored shoot me a message sometime and you can bounce some ideas of me, but arduino has alot of limitations the biggest is that it only has a 5volt output.
there are already plenty of boards (shields as they are known) that will help you out, and can give you a flying start.
there is also a learning site if you want to really get into it. it teaches the basics of arduino. on top of that type arduino projects into google and sift through the plethora of projects to find something that interests you.
I sincerely wish you the best luck on this.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to use the small 12V batteries that are the same size as a AAA or AA and I was thinking of having a DC-AC inverter that would increase the voltage to 120. I believe it would be a lot easier to have an AC motor so the reversing current would would follow along with the changing magnetic field. I'm not sure if it's going to be easy or if there will be some drawbacks I'm not thinking of but I would like to try to make my own motor maybe out of other motor parts or not, I have a dremel so making the pieces shouldn't be too hard. I don't know a whole lot about microcontrollers but I was thinking of having three buttons that would be for different speeds. If there is something easier than a microcontroller to control the buttons and the motor's speed I would love to hear it. Maybe a potientometer or something like that to increase the resistance corresponding to the lower speed buttons. As for my motor and its place in the blender I was just thinking of having it right under the blender and for it to act just like a typical blender where the blades are at the bottom, I was thinking of making everything from the blades to the motor itself. I'll try to see if I can find an old blender chamber and using just that if I could. I appreciate any feedback

CDRIVE

If you design this around a 120VAC brush motor you'll want to control speed with a Triac.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to use the small 12V batteries that are the same size as a AAA or AA and I was thinking of having a DC-AC inverter that would increase the voltage to 120.

You might get a click when you flip the switch, but no blend... :cool:

There isn't enough energy in those little batteries to do anything beyond the most minimal circuits, they can only power an LED for a few hours on a good day...

CDRIVE

Have you given much thought to the mechanics of this? Keeping liquid from contaminating a high speed bearing isn't trivial.

The only thing I'm trying to avoid is having a huge battery, if anyone has any suggestions on the battery aspect I'm all ears. I just really want a blender, I didn't give it a lot of thought so I'm not real sure how everything would work. Like I said I didn't give this a whole lot of thought but I have heard of a triac and will look into it and see how I can make it work. I'm gonna talk to a friend the one who has the arduino, he's a mechanical engineer but knows a lot about circuits too, so hopefully he can give me some advice.

Keeping liquid from contaminating a high speed bearing isn't trivial.

It is if you just get the complete unit already done :)

4961-011_14_2926_2_300202.JPG

http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2926

I'm just not seeing the appeal to building this from scratch, when you can get a dandy one for a few bucks at a garage sale...

Have you given much thought to the mechanics of this? Keeping liquid from contaminating a high speed bearing isn't trivial.

Are you're referring to where the shaft of the motor would come through the bottom of the blender to the blades? I didn't think about the liquid in the blender but I imagine having a ball bearing setup where the shaft comes into the blender would be the only option. Like I said if this gets too complicated I'll probably end up just buying a blender. That's definitely not going to change, I gotta have one.

The only thing I'm trying to avoid is having a huge battery,

Then it's best to use a mains one that plugs in...

if anyone has any suggestions on the battery aspect I'm all ears.

Need to know the current drain (under load) and voltage of the motor you are using...

I just really want a blender, I didn't give it a lot of thought so I'm not real sure how everything would work.

Best to just purchase one... You won't be able to build one as cheap and it likely won't perform as well as even the cheapest models you can purchase...

CDRIVE

It is if you just get the complete unit already done :)

I'm just not seeing the appeal to building this from scratch, when you can get a dandy one for a few bucks at a garage sale...

Flea markets, consignment shops, Good Will, etc. The average newlyweds are given more blenders than four couples can use. They end up in the previously mentioned outlets.

Bride: "Thanks Aunt Gertrude! How did you know that's what we needed? .. "Oh Bob, look what Aunt Gertrude gave us!". .. Bob: "Oh sh!t, not another one!" :D