Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The variable speed motor and the wood lathe

I've recently acquired a really nice 3hp, 1780rpm, 120V (or 240V) AC motor that was formerly driving a high-end (Matrix) treadmill. It was headed to the scrap heap because the control panel wasn't working anymore, but the motor itself is still good, and I want to turn it into a wood lathe once I get it home (currently out of the country, but should be home in a month or so).

It's slotted, so I'm probably going to put it under the headstock with a shield to keep shavings out and just run a belt from the spindle up to the headstock, plus I can get an initial change in speed and torque, but it's got a molex connector where it plugged into the PC board in the treadmill, and this is where I get lost.

How do I go about finding or building a PC board, preferable with a simple On/Off switch and a variable resistance rheostat (or something to that effect) to adjust the RPMs? I know there are kits out there like Raspberry Pi, but having never used one, I don't know if that's really useful for my application.

Thanks in advance!

You will need to provide more info ,perhaps a photo of the motor and wiring connector, current rating,etc.
I suspect it is a series AC motor , either way not simple to control the speed, especially 3 hp.