Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tektronix 2430 repair

I finally got the scope from work that I was trying to get some time ago. As you can see, there is a blob on the screen and nothing changes it, knobs or buttons. Does anyone know what could be going on? Is it a futile endeavor?

scope-pas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If your time base wont expand the "blob" I would get a service manual and trouble shoot the sweep section and make sure all voltages are within specs

Sir bigone5500
. . . . . .aka Jared . . . . .

Firstly I wonder if you have tried adjusting the green blob control to its optimum ?.
Also, next, see if the bottom left intensity control causes it to get worse at its maximum CW position,
or getting better at its adjustment range towards the left. . . .CCW. ?
Now in retaining YOUR display but marrying on my controls on the right so that the panel can be read .
I am worrying about the compressed hoz display aspect. . . . .being basically due, just by controls / settings MISADJUSTMENTS.
In the central HOZ adjustments cluster, confirm that the unit is in its A time base mode and not in the B mode. by pressing A mode and the seeing if the RED circled hoz position will adjust the blob right to left positioning. If so. . .
Change the RED marked VAR time base control to the left to get a slower time base and an inherently increased brightness at the slower speed . . . . but shop well short of getting a slowly sweeping dot speed.
We are looking to getting a FULL line of sweep width.
Even with only your learners permit . . . . we are now authorizing the use of a small standard blade screwdriver to now adjust the recessed and slotted FOCUS control located within the bottom frontal left corner.
Any change ? if not, try astig and finally trace rotation, but NOT expecting anything from the last duo, due to the units present resolution capabilities.
If the FOCUS was dead of responding to any of those adjustments . . .ONWARD . . . to pull the dust covers and access to the central area of he units innards.

The area of interest will be marked by the easily noticeable and most honnable . . . MURATA RED AND BLACK cased high voltage multiplier and the SMPS transformer just across from it.
Our transistor of interest is marked up on both the schema and the picture.
We are interested in finding if the focus control adjustment produces any voltage swing at reg points RED A and RED B.

Standing by to see how you are making it . . . . . . . .

FRONTAL ADJUSTMENTS AND CONTROLS REFERENCING

TEK_2430_Faceplate.jpg

SUSPECTED PROBLEM AREA SPECIFICAS

TEK2430_FOCUS_Circuitry.jpg

73s de Edd

Last edited:

Sir bigone5500
. . . . . .aka Jared . . . . .

Firstly I wonder if you have tried adjusting the green blob control to its optimum ?.
Also, next, see if the bottom left intensity control causes it to get worse at its maximum CW position,
or getting better at its adjustment range towards the left. . . .CCW. ?
Now in retaining YOUR display but marrying on my controls on the right so that the panel can be read .
I am worrying about the compressed hoz display aspect. . . . .being basically due, just by controls / settings MISADJUSTMENTS.
In the central HOZ adjustments cluster, confirm that the unit is in its A time base mode and not in the B mode. by pressing A mode and the seeing if the RED circled hoz position will adjust the blob right to left positioning. If so. . .
Change the RED marked VAR time base control to the left to get a slower time base and an inherently increased brightness at the slower speed . . . . but shop well short of getting a slowly sweeping dot speed.
We are looking to getting a FULL line of sweep width.
Even with only your learners permit . . . . we are now authorizing the use of a small standard blade screwdriver to now adjust the recessed and slotted FOCUS control located within the bottom frontal left corner.
Any change ? if not, try astig and finally trace rotation, but NOT expecting anything from the last duo, due to the units present resolution capabilities.
If the FOCUS was dead of responding to any of those adjustments . . .ONWARD . . . to pull the dust covers and access to the central area of he units innards.

The area of interest will be marked by the easily noticeable and most honnable . . . MURATA RED AND BLACK cased high voltage multiplier and the SMPS transformer just across from it.
Our transistor of interest is marked up on both the schema and the picture.
We are interested in finding if the focus control adjustment produces any voltage swing at reg points RED A and RED B.

Standing by to see how you are making it . . . . . . . .

FRONTAL ADJUSTMENTS AND CONTROLS REFERENCING

TEK_2430_Faceplate.jpg

SUSPECTED PROBLEM AREA SPECIFICAS

TEK2430_FOCUS_Circuitry.jpg

73s de Edd

Sir, could you tell me how to remove the black retainers that secure the pcb? They look like ones that I have dealt with in the past but will not come out. I give them a quarter turn but they sound like they are about to snap.

I figured it out. The 'heads' do not come out. The board simply lifts up.

Last edited:
That used to be common practice back in discrete component days .
Even the use of a dishwasher .
Myself, I would use hot water, a hog bristle brush and either Fantastic or 409 ,more scrubbing, a rinse and use a final " sling drying ". Then a spaced away heat gun for the final traces of wetness.
NOWADAYS . . . .I use a leafblower.

Those dusty and dirty boards would then come out SPARKLING CLEAN.
Your unit has some hybrid and VERY pricey hybrid components on it .

73's de Edd

Last edited:
Well...as I do not have any of the equipment required for calibration and tests aside from the usual multimeter, I will have to abandon this scope. I was hoping to get it to work somehow and without much effort but not having the correct testing equipment makes it impossible.

I have a Rigol DS2072A which works very well and has all the fantsy upgrades so it's all I need.

Thanks for the help anyway.