Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Talking to my phone

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Hi this is an example of me trying to talk to my phone and getting it to type my message instead of me having to type the bloody thing on the little tiny keyboard.

Amazingly enough this entire message has been written without me having to type a single thing is actually pretty impressive.

Let's try a few interesting things like mosfet resistor capacitor inductor.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

You know it just might become a lot easier to answer messages Electronics Point now.

The VF of the LED is above the maximum allowed. What about schottky diodes. What about things like 32 ohms 53 HZ and 12 Henry. That last one was really amazing because it got the wrong thing and then why looked at it it changed everything to what it said there it's really amazing.

Now the one last question is it socially acceptable to talk to ones phone on public transport.

Actually you can probably tell from that last sentence that the one thing that it's missing is any form of irrational punctuation. It made a mistake I said rational punctuation not irrational punctuation.

The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

Does anyone have anything interesting they'd like me to try and say to my phone?

Does anyone know how to get punctuation?

Woohoo!

But on a more serious note - yes, for sure there has been a considerable improvement in text-to-speech ability. The last time I tried it was back in the 90's - laughable would be an understatement.

However, if it can convert your speech to text with such accuracy it make me wonder if it can also detect when you're talking anti-government, terrorism, crime etc..... is this the start of permanent monitoring of everything you say?

It might sound tin-foil hat but these are actual issues some have with the cuurent crop of 'Alexa's' and other voice recognition AI devices. After all, the circumstances of off-site video watching is already a well-know phenomena.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I should try to get a life :) :)

Yes I said the word smiley and then face and it produced a :).

If all the governors going to do is listen to me talk to my phone it would be a damn sight easier just to read what I've written instead.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
14 / 2 = 7

E equals MC squared

2 ^ 10 = 1024

4 squared equals 16

J Fett
mosfet

Oi, how come you get one right and one wrong?

My wife is a sort of Bonza Sheila that doesn't mind me talking to my phone. The things we do to amuse ourselves at 4 o'clock in the morning!

I wonder what would happen if I asked it to go from Kununurra to Albany via Broome and Derby. As it turns out it seems to do a pretty good job. What about other places like Cape Le Grand Geographe Bay or maybe the meteorological region of Bilal to Point Samson.

Well it can't get Wallal. Oh my god, typing by hand I can't bring myself to do it!

After you teach it a bit . . . .you should just be able to use comma , period . . . question mark and have it do your punctuation.
When I do voice recognition, I have to speak VERY distinctly and very slowly, in order to get anywhere near the correct capture rate that you now seem to be experiencing.\
Otherwise . . . . . I just let 'er rip on the keyboard at ~ 100 wpm and do any later editing.
I tend to do a lot of " eaach" . . ." qua4ter " mistakes of repetitive letters or overstretches of the fingers to the correct keys.

But on a more serious note - yes, for sure there has been a considerable improvement in text-to-speech ability. The last time I tried it was back in the 90's - laughable would be an understatement.

However, if it can convert your speech to text with such accuracy it make me wonder if it can also detect when you're talking anti-government, terrorism, crime etc..... is this the start of permanent monitoring of everything you say?

It might sound tin-foil hat but these are actual issues some have with the cuurent crop of 'Alexa's' and other voice recognition AI devices. After all, the circumstances of off-site video watching is already a well-know phenomena.

Those are perfectly valid concerns. The reality is that many (especially Chinese) Android phones come with spyware preinstalled, tons of the apps you use collect all kinds of data on you, and your service provider can remotely access your camera, microphone, and all of the files on your phone. It's trivial for companies, governments, or criminals who gain access to such information to know everything you said, where you've been, what apps, files, etc you have installed on your device, etc. etc.

The situation isn't all that better if you're on a computer running, say, Windows 10, either.

I'm personally looking forward to more products like those coming out of Purism, with their Librem 5: a privacy focused phone that runs Linux and free / open source software. It also has hardware kill switches for the camera, microphone, and base-band.

Anyway, in regards to voice recognition: I'd agree! It's come a long way. I've used it due to injury and the inability to type (RSI) and hacked a particular program to allow me to dictate code and program, and while it was quite hard to do, it worked surprisingly well after a few months of work (and training myself to dictate well). Again, I just wish there were more open source options here so I could more easily run such software on any device, and hack it to do what I need it to do (not to mention be sure that it's not sending what I'm saying off to some server somewhere!)

Last edited:
Hi Matilda comma do you want go go for a drink after work question
I'll see hyphen it depends period
Oh comma I'm sorry hyphen maybe next week question

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Hi Matilda, do you want to go for a drink after work question I'll see hyphen it depends. Oh, sorry I phone maybe next week question

Well, at least some of work.

At least my phone doesn't want to converse with me (for now)