Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Synchronizing two function generators

Hi all,

Can anyone advise, I need to synchronize two signal generators. How do I do that and what signals should I look at to say the devices are synchronized.

I am a beginner.

Thanks in advance

I've used two different ways on commercial generators. The easiest is to trigger one generator from the other as Olivier indicated. The other is where the generators can take external reference frequency inputs; this is typical in labs where e.g. a 10 MHz square wave is used as a reference frequency. Some models of generators will also output these reference frequencies on their back panels, allowing you to connect another generator; then both generators will be synchronized (but, depending on the models, you may or may not be allowed to adjust their relative phase).

The easiest approach is to use something like the HP 3326 generator, as the two internal generators can be synchronized and adjusted in phase. A few years ago a friend bought about 15 of these government surplus and gave me one that's in perfect condition -- it's a classic boat anchor...