Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Store on hard drive

Hello,
I have a small hard drive and can i store binary codes and similar mannually without pc if i have power supply?

Harald Kapp

can i store binary codes and similar mannually without pc
What do you mean by "manually"? Please explain in more detail.

You will need some kind of computer, e.g. a microcontroller but not necessarily a PC, to handle the protocol that the harddrive uses to store and retrieve data via its interface.

Writing to a microcontrollers internal EEPROM may be the easiest of all. See here if you want really simple. Alternatively if you are using assembly or C, these can also write to the internal EEPROM on an AVR (and other microcontrollers). If you are looking for something external, there are external flash chips. One external method I am considering trying is MRAM, non-volatile RAM with infinite cycling, see here for a parallel interface, you can also find SPI chips on their site.

I hope this helps,

Writing to a microcontrollers internal EEPROM may be the easiest of all. See here if you want really simple. Alternatively if you are using assembly or C, these can also write to the internal EEPROM on an AVR (and other microcontrollers). If you are looking for something external, there are external flash chips. One external method I am considering trying is MRAM, non-volatile RAM with infinite cycling, see here for a parallel interface, you can also find SPI chips on their site.

I hope this helps,
Good advise from everyone on here.
Unless you need massive amounts of storage, you should look into writing to alternatives.

EEPROM is probably the easiest to read/write to with a micro-controller, but most difficult to to read with a computer/cell-phone/etc.
SD Cards are very easy to read/write to as well with a micro-controller and there are countless break-out boards available to make things easier. Simply remove the card, and place in a computer/cell-phone to read/write/modify.
USB-Drives may be a little trickier to write to, but are much easier to read/write/modify with a PC.
Harddrives can be written to, but will require a lot more work than the alternatives provided, perhaps you should do some research into the older 'IDE' connection, and Compact Flash Cards...

Hello,
I have a small hard drive and can i store binary codes and similar mannually without pc if i have power supply?

From the question,I have the feeling that you are not a programmer ;).
If I'm correct, all the above advise won't help you .
The answer is a simple no you can't ,use a PC.

Depends on what kinda protocol your hard drive talks. Lets assume its USB (most of Mass storage are USB), you can get a Micro-controller which supports USB (PIC32) and write some code to make it work.

Depends on what kinda protocol your hard drive talks. Lets assume its USB (most of Mass storage are USB), you can get a Micro-controller which supports USB (PIC32) and write some code to make it work.
True.. but the amount of code required is not something that I would suggest using to encourage someone to dig in and learn with.

I would encourage them to ditch the harddrive... regardless of it using USB 'Mass Storage Mode', IDE, or SATA... and highly encourage beginners to start with a micrcontroller and EEPROM or an SD Card... Many SD cards support SPI, and there are a lot of example code for this for any micro-controller you want to use.