Maker Pro
Maker Pro

storage device for comparator output problem

hello, i am an electrical engineering student at the university of guyana. i am working on a project, that involves the use of comparators. my problem is that i am unable to store the comparators output. i would like advice on a device that can be used to store the output of the comparator

Since the output of a comparator should be a digital logic level of 0 or 1, try a latch or a D-type flip-flop.

storage device for comparator problem (2)

Since the output of a comparator should be a digital logic level of 0 or 1, try a latch or a D-type flip-flop.

hey thank you for that advice it has solve part of my problem, with your advice i am now able to utilize a clocked latch to store the end result of every comparison by the comparator. i can use the latch as a sampler to sample the comparator output N times per second. The problem is that the latch is a one bit memory.

i need a device to ACCESS and STORE the output from the latch at a rate N times per second, the device must have a capacity greater than a bit, maybe around 1 mega bit. if not the output from the latch will be lost after the next rising/falling edge of the clock.

do you have any idea of a device that can access and store the output of the latch for later use. your advice will be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Last edited:
All I can think of would be a shift register, i.e., a string of flip-flops. Beyond that you would be looking at some form of RAM device. The shift register could be used for bit-to-byte or bit-to-word conversions, or a micro-controller used to stuff the bits into RAM.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Mikey17, you really know how to make friends with moderators, don't you?

I just had to delete all of your duplicate posted messages. Please don't do it again.

And a reminder to everyone else. It is not our job to do Mikey's homework for him.

Last edited:
All I can think of would be a shift register, i.e., a string of flip-flops. Beyond that you would be looking at some form of RAM device. The shift register could be used for bit-to-byte or bit-to-word conversions, or a micro-controller used to stuff the bits into RAM.

thank you, for your advice