Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sourcing old IC for HP 1710 scope

Hi y'all. Just registered on this forum hoping for some advice. I'm trying to get my old HP 1710 scope repaired, but one IC on the vertical output amplifier is dead (part 5081 3024).

I've tried a couple of parts sources with no luck - anyone have any sources of old bits?

Rgds
R

can you take some pictures or provide some more information on what this IC is. A google search of the part number returned a chrystal oscilator of sorts..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Do you have the service manual? I've found that (in one case) the service manual had a cross-reference in it of HP part number to the standard part number (in my case it was all LSTTL stuff and fairly vanilla op amps)

Thanks for the replies -- I can't get a pic immediately as the unit is sitting at a workshop (the technician is calling around all his contacts to see if they have an old unit to cannibalise...)

I checked the service manual, it appears to be an HP part (i.e. has only HP part number). This bears out what the tech told me, that it was an HP-fabricated IC.

It's quite frustrating not being able to use a perfectly servicable scope because if one tiny part...

I'll try get across there soon to get a pic of the board with the failed IC.

Just because a part had an HP part number on it doesn't mean it was some custom in-house made part (of course, it also doesn't exclude it -- but the vast number of parts were purchased). HP would usually buy parts in sufficient quantity to allow them to have HP's internal part numbers put on the part. This helped with inventory control and made it a little harder for people to reverse engineer their circuits. It was also mandated by corporate, so the divisions had to behave this way.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to find a comprehensive HP part number cross reference to industry standard numbers. There are bits and pieces scattered all over the web. I've got a file of about 2800 unique cross references that I've built from various sources, but it doesn't contain your part.

Those scopes were designed in the 1970's, so you're looking for parts from 30+ years ago. Since you can buy a reasonably decent digital scope for $500-$1000, I'd think it would make more sense to junk the old thing and get a more modern scope. Personally, I never liked the HP 174X models too much (especially the storage versions), but I will admit that many of the old analog scopes still seem to trigger better than some of the digital ones. I bought a Phillips 25 MHz scope in the 70's and it's still working and can trigger on sine waves well past 60 MHz.

I suspect you're right, that the scope will go in the bin. I like the old ones just because they were so nicely engineered. I love the clockwork mechanical delay for the delay sweep. And also that the scope is almost exactly the same age as me.

But my search is a bit fruitless -- got a quote form a bunch in Taiwan that said they had it for $180+shipping. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

I'm still holding thumbs - there were loads of those units kicking around in Cape Town/S'bosch because they used to use them as lab equipment at Stellenbosch Uni.

Thanks for the feedback.

These 2 distributors each claim to have 1 of P/N 5081 3024 in stock in the USA.
H&R Enterprises ( www.hrent.com )
Temec Electronics, Inc. (1-951-587-0220) sorry no url.

As a disclaimer..I do not recall the policy on posting links to "pay" sites, but I have NO connection to these 2, nor any other, pay sites.

Hope this helps.
Treep

These 2 distributors each claim to have 1 of P/N 5081 3024 in stock in the USA.
Good find, Treep -- the OP should be aware, however, that some of these places charge awfully steep prices for some of these parts, so check carefully to make sure it's what you want. And it's probably worth asking for some kind of guarantee.

When I cleaned out my desk about 10 years ago, I put all the crap in a box and took it home. I had stuck a bag of electrical parts in the bottom drawer of a cabinet in the shop and forgot about it. I recently pulled it out and found that it was a bunch of spare parts for an HP 3495A scanner I had used about 30 years ago. I was going to toss the things out (they were some custom HP reed relays and associated parts), but I decided to look them up on the web. I was a bit shocked to find that some places were selling them for hundreds of dollars each.

Of course, I contacted a number of such places to see if they wanted to buy them, but absolutely none of them wanted them. I guess the turnover rate is so small, they're not worth the shelf space.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
As a disclaimer..I do not recall the policy on posting links to "pay" sites, but I have NO connection to these 2, nor any other, pay sites

As a general rule, posting links to a site that provides an answer to a problem is unlikely to get you into trouble.

We endeavour not to penalise people for trying to help :)