Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony TC-350 speed slipping

I cleaned everything, put some Regrip on the tires, and shortened the spring a little, but the speed still slips just enough to be noticeable.
Problem is worse in the picture at 3 3/4 with the tire on the edge of the flywheel and I thought it would be fine if at 7 1/2 if I kept it horizontal, but it slips on it's own.
Motor seems to have enough torque but I don't know how to judge.

Any tips on this one?

Attachments

• tc350.jpeg
    tc350.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 88
The capstan motor's do sometimes go bad.
The first thing I would do is get a can of spray contact cleaner (that says it's safe for plastics), and spray out
all the roller/wheel assemblies. Friction material, dirt and grime, dirt, can get/wear into the moving roller parts.
Lubricate the swinging tension arms, just give it a GOOD overall cleaning and see if you can get it operating smoothly.

Just got some lube for the Pioneer cassette I want to fix up. (Not looking forward to that, I'll videotape the disassembly to keep track!) I'll see what I can clean on the Sony and try to take a closer look if something's slipping. Heard it could be the capacitor driving the motor too, guess I could test that easily

Yes, the motors don't last forever, but I'd try everything else in the cleaning and care department first.
If that didn't work, (but usually does), I'd take a look at the signal TO the motors, before suspecting the motors themselves.