Maker Pro
Maker Pro

some forum use tutorials

davenn

Hey Ian,

for the life of me i cant remember how to embed images within my posts
I can add an attachment but you have to click on a file name and it loads into an external viewer

had a look around the place and couldnt find any general tutorials/info on how to do different things on the forum

chers
Dave

PS us old so and so's need some memory joggers occassionally ;) senility is just around the corner and sometimes I wonder if altizimers (SP) isnt already here
hahahaha

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
try using the "insert image" icon. It's the second last one on the quick reply thingy.

smiley-face.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Haha, that's quite a big smilie :D

If the image is already on the net then you can use the "insert image" icon that Steve used in the post above (
insertimage.gif
)... or if the image is on your PC you'll need to attach it using the paperclip icon (or the attachments button). This will insert thumbnails at the end of each post with the images there. If you want them to appear large in the thread, just right click on the link to the images and then post them using the image button.

Use this thread as a test and we can help out if you get stuck. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
If it is on your PC, you can upload it to a service like imageshack and then use the "insert image" tool, specifying the direct link to the image that Image Shack gives you after your upload.

davenn

attachment test

ok that is what happens if I use the attachment uploaded from my PC, it doesnt create a thumbnail

as Ian suggested ...quote .... or if the image is on your PC you'll need to attach it using the paperclip icon (or the attachments button). This will insert thumbnails at the end of each post with the images there.

704d1278039355-some-forum-use-tutorials-bastx.bmp

Attachments

• bastx.bmp
    29.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Unfortunatly it's not possible to generate thumbnails from BMP images on the forums, it only works for JPG and GIF images :(. I've just found this out now and tried to change it, but it's down to a limitation with the image encoding used.

However, it is possible to insert an inline image when you've already uploaded an attachment, you just need to copy the image link URL and paste that in using the insert image button.

I've uploaded an image (you'll see it at the bottom of the post). What I then did was right click the link, then click "copy shortcut" and then click the insert image button and use that same link:

attachment.php

Attachments

• header.jpg
    header.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
I tried the same thing with your BMP image, but I can't get it to display in IE8 :confused:. Perhaps it only works with GIF/JPG/PNG images?

No wonder you were having problems, I see the confusion now!

It should work for other file extensions though :).

davenn

ok let me look in firefox

I mainly use IE8 ok on your other comments re file types etc
I will try converting that bmp to gif and then attach .....

ok interesting result. I copied and pasted that original .bmp image link into into the insert image box
and presto there it is :)
BUT .... only in firefox !! its not viewable in IE8, yet another of the many failings of IE8 hahahaha

now I will try with a gif image uploaded from my PC as an attached file (not inserted)

there we go thumbnail present in IE8 and F-Fox

Attachments

• 10 GHz Prescaler for Freq Counter.gif
    10 GHz Prescaler for Freq Counter.gif
    15 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

davenn

OK I can live with that :)

I dont upload images too often

no big deal.... just convert to .gif before uploading. that suits both browsers.... just have to remember that now haha

thanks steve and Ian for your guidance

cheers
Dave.
Oz