Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Solder Help!!!! PLEASE!!!

Bought over 1,000 components from a country that rhymes with Thine-uh, and every one was soldered incorrectly. The company refuses to honor their refund, replace, repair, or return policy, and I cannot afford the loss. Also, am not qualified to make the corrections nor could I ever find the time to re-solder this many pieces. Simply, where there should be anywhere from three to eight individual solders on each different item connecting a very fragile ribbon wire to the individual circuits on a very small board, this company soldered one continuous line across all of them rendering the pieces useless. I have been told there is something I would call a miracle liquid that can be brushed across the horrible mess which somehow (magically as far as I am concerned, if true) localizes the current and causes the solder to only affect the intended connection areas. Being worse than a, untrained, uneducated neophyte, I can only hope I explained this dilemma in terms professionals could understand. If this truly is irreparable, my family's finances are destroyed and I doubt we will be able to recover. If there really is something such as this magic potion or anything close, we may have a chance.

I attached an amateurish attempt at drawing what I'm trying to explain. Remember, some of these things have as few as three or as many as eight circuits.

Any advice is much, much, much appreciated.

Attachments

• What I Needed.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 173
  • What I Got.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 169
Damaged components soldered

Hi Samstone.
I am not an expert, but am very clued up to the extensive list of electronic chemicals and solder applications on the market, ive looked at your PDF files attached.

One idea comes to mind, well two, the fist is a solder pump, you melt the mess, and the pump sucks away the molten solder, this needs extreme dexterity and care, the second is solder braid or wick as its known its heated with the molten solder and absorbs the excesses solder mess into the braid, again a high level of dexterity is needed to avoid damage to the ribbon cable and traces, to much heat causes damage, another option is a solder rework station using heated air, this used in conjunction with the other applications.

This is a job for a person experienced electronics persons, not an amateur job.
If a chemical equivalent is in existence iam not aware of it, as you say brush on, some thing like this i dont know, or doubt exists, there are chemicals that will remove solder, but these are very aggressive in there action and may do more damage if used, or used incorrectly. Hope you can redeem the components. Dave. :)

It sounds like they drag soldered it without flux. Using a clean tip with lots of reservoir area, flux and reflow in a vertical drag technique to clear the bridges. If there's too much solder for this technique alone, use solder wick to remove the excess. The videos linked show some of the methods as applied to other components. The vertical tilt of the board helps prevent and clear bridges by enhancing surface tension with gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg2hxpy--gg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD797CBCCFA3C550D

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkgamm041#p/u/4/wQXhny3R7lk

Alright, it is clear that I have never really soldered because I am always getting bridging and sometimes it can be a real treat to get rid of those bridges. Those videos KJ linked to show some sweet technique. I take it the flux one uses has a lot to do with how well the solder comes out.

Anyone got any good websites that explain the process in laymans terms with links to the products being used. I have always been scared of surface mount components for this reason, this guy Mier made that look easy.

Companies like PACE make a vacuum desoldering system (several types), a good one might run you $200 -$300 U.S., but what's the time and effort worth to you.