Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sleeve Antenna

Why when sleeve antennas are used for high frequencies they are superior to single wire or regular whip antennas in both vertical pattern and impedance characteristics. I don't understand when it states the impedance characteristics of a sleeve Antenna can attain satisfactory standing wave ratios over a wider range and radiation at low angles is much greater than a whip?

Been a while since I've been in that area. "Sleeve antenna" is a general term covering quite a number of implementations.
Generally, though you are making a dipole by using something, such as coax outer as the side opposite the coax centre.
A standard whip I guess is a monopole. To get radiation at horizontal it relies on reflection in the groundplane. With an infinite groundplane the reflection fills a virtual other pole and looks just like a dipole. With small groundplane the pattern at horizontal is less, so the pattern appearts to lift up.
The impedance of a monopole is different form that of a dipole. Maybe one of the experienced RF/antenna guys will fill in an impedance and SWR explanation for you.

Appreciate your response. Your information got me thinking, I think I'm starting to understand what they mean by the ground radiation in this case. Thanks