Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Screwdrivers?

Greetings!
I'm slowly upgrading my tools and equipment regarding my workbench and i think it's time to upgrade my screwdrivers.
My current set consists of a few different screwdrivers I found laying around the house.
Mostly cheap and with semi stripped heads.
Now I'm thinking about getting an insulated set. Is it worth it or will the insulation only interfere.
What kind do you have/prefer? Any recommendations for a decent quality set or brand for 20-25$.
Thanks

Insulated screwdrivers are generally used by 'electricians' although they are sometimes useful for working on high voltages in hobby work. Unless you have the intention to work with domestic electrical systems or high voltages as may be found in valve equipment then you'd probably not find them used very much but, as with all tools, if you haven't got one, you'll eventually find you need one.....

Screwdrivers can be reground and soft ones may need to be ground often.
The insulation will not interfere with anything.

You could get a set of driver bits for various screws including cross bits and Phillips.
A set of watchmaker screwdrivers will often come in handy.
I use a 'magic' (neon) screwdriver to check live terminals.

The first scewdriver I bought 60 years ago was soft rubbish but I still insist on usong it, including taking lids off cans and stirring paint. Modern tools are all much better and are often Cr-V steel.

I wouldn't recommend a 'neon' screwdriver for testing live terminals. Use a proper non-contact detector 'pen' - cheap and very much safer.

You will gather a 'massive' collection of screwdrivers over the years - if I could be bothered to count them I reckon I'd get to over 40 quite easily in my collection. Of those I probably use only three or four regularly.

Screwdrivers can be reground and soft ones may need to be ground often.
The insulation will not interfere with anything.

You could get a set of driver bits for various screws including cross bits and Phillips.
A set of watchmaker screwdrivers will often come in handy.
I use a 'magic' (neon) screwdriver to check live terminals.

The first scewdriver I bought 60 years ago was soft rubbish but I still insist on usong it, including taking lids off cans and stirring paint. Modern tools are all much better and are often Cr-V steel.

Ok then i need to check how to grind them so maybe i can refurbish my current set.
I have a set of security and fine pointed bits but i only use it when dealing with small things
because the biggest one is ph0

I wouldn't recommend a 'neon' screwdriver for testing live terminals. Use a proper non-contact detector 'pen' - cheap and very much safer.

You will gather a 'massive' collection of screwdrivers over the years - if I could be bothered to count them I reckon I'd get to over 40 quite easily in my collection. Of those I probably use only three or four regularly.

Agree with you on the non-contact tester and if you pair it with a multimeter you pretty much can't go wrong.
It would be great to have a collection of screwdrivers that you collect over the years but my "years" have just started :D

Ian

Administrator
I really like Wera screwdrivers - they are a bit more expensive than normal ones, but they are really good quality (I had one break and they replaced it a year later without question).

I've got a set of the normal green/black ones for every day use, plus a small selection of VDE rated ones for high voltage stuff.

My favourite screwdriver is this Wera ratchet one, as the ratchet mechanism is much finer than most and a small selection of common bits is integrated in to the popup mechanism. Having replaceable bits is really handy, as they can be replaced cheaply and save a lot of space. It's a little more than your budget, but Amazon do sometimes have good offers.

I really like Wera screwdrivers - they are a bit more expensive than normal ones, but they are really good quality (I had one break and they replaced it a year later without question).

I've got a set of the normal green/black ones for every day use, plus a small selection of VDE rated ones for high voltage stuff.

My favourite screwdriver is this Wera ratchet one, as the ratchet mechanism is much finer than most and a small selection of common bits is integrated in to the popup mechanism. Having replaceable bits is really handy, as they can be replaced cheaply and save a lot of space. It's a little more than your budget, but Amazon do sometimes have good offers.
Yeah I've seen people use Wera screwdrivers. I'll sniff around and see if i can find a set that I would like and can afford. Also the ratcheting screwdrivers look like a realy good thing.