Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Santa's Runway Wiring Help

Hey,

I'm trying to come up with a wiring scheme for a 'Runway' for a Christmas light display. I followed a guide from here: http://www.rxrsignals.net/Phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1452 to get two lights to alternate. Here is the plan:

On either side of the driveway would be 4 lights, a total of eight lights. The red lights on my diagram below would come on together, switch off, and then the green lights would come on etc etc.

Runway.png

The circuit uses an electronic flasher relay, from an LED turn signal and a standard SPDT Automotive relay. But I'm getting confused about running back the negative wire.

A negative needs to come from the 86 pin on the relay, and from each light. Can I run two core wire to each light and connect the negative of that two core back to the negative on the power supply? If that makes no sense just say so and I'll try and clarify.

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Hi there, welcome to our forum.

I'm sorry, but your diagram makes no sense to me.

Let's start with the colors: if you use color coding at all (which is unusual for schematic diagrams but may be helpful for the novice), use different colors for different voltages. E.g. you used blue to connect to pins 85 and 86 of the relay. Since on eeasily associates same color with same voltage, this would short out the relay coil and nothing would happen at all.
Second: If colors are used, typically red is used for the positive voltage (+12V here) and black is used for 0V.

I took the liberty to mofify your schematic:
blink-png.16063

For clarity I kept the green wires for the green lights. Note that crossing wires are not connected unless indicated by a dot.

This circuit will have the red and green lights blink alternatingly. This will not give a runway effect. You will need chaser lights (Google) for the effect I think you want to achieve.

Attachments

• blink.png
    blink.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 642